A healthy 318 is born.

-

1966DDart

Reaction score
Finally got my 318 fired up, cam broke in, and new/stiff springs installed. I know some will say...should have built ____, used a _____ cam, etc, etc. But, I'm happy with it....factory steel crank, K1 rods, Wiseco pistons, heavily modified 920 heads, old MP solid circle track cam, Airgap intake, small Holley 600hp carb.

Enjoy! ....just excuse the mess. Lol!

Finally got my 318 fired up, cam broke in, and new/stiff springs installed. I know some will say...should have built ____, used a _____ cam, etc, etc. But, I'm happy with it....factory steel crank, K1 rods, Wiseco pistons, heavily modified 920 heads, old MP solid circle track cam, Airgap intake, small Holley 600hp carb.

Nicely done! That gets the ol' heart thumpin!

Love it. I’m building a 318 stroker right now. Why because... why not. Everybody has a 408.

I hear ya'! My 408 magnum is in my beater '89 W150 short bed with an NP435. ;-) lol!!!

This was literally before I tuned anything! No mufflers either.

Love it. I’m building a 318 stroker right now. Why because... why not. Everybody has a 408.
And a 390 is only 18 cubes less. When you are running darned near 400 cubes a few more or less won't make a huge difference. LOL Keep us posted on your build too.

Does it come with emblems?

red-392-hemi-badge-31.jpg

My plans include a 0.040 bore on my spare 318 block with that 4" stroke, and to replace the word HEMI with a new word... I figure I can get an engineer at work to run the letters off on one of our 3D printers, or I can get it made out of some scrap carbon by the water jet shop down the street.

3 9 2
WEDGE

Sorry for the thread derail, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Love that 318 man

If I had the money I'd LOVE to build a 318, "just to be able to say" that is what it IS. The ones that know look down there at the balancer, "yup" it's a 318/ 340, they might look at the numbers, "HEY" "It IS a teen!!"

Healthy sounding little sucker.
We have a .030 over 318 with a 68 340 grind cam in the Wife's Dart, but it has a two barrel on the factory iron intake and a stock single exhaust and muffler.
I hear it out there at night sometimes saying "Psst hey Greg, help me please" :D

Love your test stand...any chance you are an aircraft engine mechanic? (smile)
Norm

Love your test stand...any chance you are an aircraft engine mechanic? (smile)
Norm

Nope...I work on large printers. Glad you like the redneck test stand! I found an old warehouse cart on Craigslist ($25). Replaced the wood with 3/4+" scrap plywood (old shipping crates), stained it with a $5 gallon stain I found on clearance, mounted a spare '66 k-member on scrap 80/20 aluminum. And made a simple mount for the bellhousing. I have waaaay more in gauges (~$200) than I do the rest of the cart! Easy to roll in and out of the garage. I also have a house fan under the control panel to blow on the radiator. Works perfect!

When the throttle was blipped at the end, I jumped clear out of my seat! It looked like the tachometer was pegged during the blips, but I guess not possible to hit 8 grand.

And I have a roller teen block in the garage. Hummmmm! Dang, I have a set of 920's and a set of 302's as well.

When the throttle was blipped at the end, I jumped clear out of my seat! It looked like the tachometer was pegged during the blips, but I guess not possible to hit 8 grand.

It easily goes to 7000 (last throttle blip) but, that's all I want to take it to. I'm guessing the peak hp should be around 6,500-6,700...about the limit of what the intake and 920 heads are.

It easily goes to 7000 (last throttle blip) but, that's all I want to take it to. I'm guessing the peak hp should be around 6,500-6,700...about the limit of what the intake and 920 heads are.
Do you have the cam specs?

Personally, I would have waited until the oil temperature was normalized before blipping the throttle that high, but I guess with a strong build and proper clearances it's OK. Strongest sounding 318 I ever heard.

I think I picked up the cam and lifters for $100. Figured I might as well try it! Besides, it's going in a 4-speed car withOUT power brakes so why care about vacuum? Lol!

Speaking of cheap...the flywheel is a lightweight (21...or 23#?) McLeod billet steel unit they were clearancing out a few years back. I think it was $75...I grabbed the last 2 they had! :)

Nothing wrong with bargain hunting. Sounds like you scored a couple nice pieces.

I know a lot of people make fun of glasspacks but I always loved the sound of those 36 inchers in particular.

I know a lot of people make fun of glasspacks but I always loved the sound of those 36 inchers in particular.

I think these are 28" ones...because that's what Advance Auto had in stock. $27 each, then a 30% discount online, so roughly $19 each...and a cheap way to stay neighborly (I also gave them advance warning).

For the car, I'm thinking of doing something odd. 2.5" off the headers, merged into a 4 or 4.5" oval pipe...back to a single muffler (4" Hooked maximum flow?)...then 3.5 or 4" out and over axle to a stock looking, custom made resonator. Anyone want to race a 318 with single exhaust? ;-)

I think these are 28" ones...because that's what Advance Auto had in stock. $27 each, then a 30% discount online, so roughly $19 each...and a cheap way to stay neighborly (I also gave them advance warning).

For the car, I'm thinking of doing something odd. 2.5" off the headers, merged into a 4 or 4.5" oval pipe...back to a single muffler (4" Hooked maximum flow?)...then 3.5 or 4" out and over axle to a stock looking, custom made resonator. Anyone want to race a 318 with single exhaust? ;-)

Well it sounds good anyway.
Not sure it would be all that fair to call it a 318 now, but technically it is.
I don't know how many are going to not notice the sound of it though.:D

Nope...I work on large printers. Glad you like the redneck test stand! I found an old warehouse cart on Craigslist ($25). Replaced the wood with 3/4+" scrap plywood (old shipping crates), stained it with a $5 gallon stain I found on clearance, mounted a spare '66 k-member on scrap 80/20 aluminum. And made a simple mount for the bellhousing. I have waaaay more in gauges (~$200) than I do the rest of the cart! Easy to roll in and out of the garage. I also have a house fan under the control panel to blow on the radiator. Works perfect!
Love that test stand!

-
Back