a little wager.....backfiring

-

redfastback

Don't ask me... my garage is empty
Reaction score
A couple of buddies and I have a little wager going between us on a discussion that I initiated. I won't state which side I am on, as to not be biased.

A car is trying to start, but keeps backfiring thru the exhaust(technically called and afterfire). Is the timing too retarded or advanced? Is it a fuel issue?? Also, a backfire thru the carb is caused by what??

This is just a friendly wager(couple of pints between friends). Just thought this might be a fun discussion here on the board.8)

Trying to start, but won't? My first check would be to see if the distributor is 180 degrees off. Easy to do.

Out the carb-- usually advanced and/or lean

Out the exhaust- Timing is way off- probably 180 out and firing a different cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

Out the exhaust- Timing is way off- probably 180 out and firing a different cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

I'll second that line of thinking.... :read2:

assuming the distributor is not 180 out and timing chain is good,I'm gonna go with the timing is retarded,backfire thru the carb intake valve open when firing(timing retarded) or burnt stuck or bent intake valve,if it was to far advanced the starter woul barely spin the engine over.just a guess!I'll almost bet that's the way your betting
Trying to start, but won't? My first check would be to see if the distributor is 180 degrees off. Easy to do.

I am glad I knew which side to wager on!!!! Once again, just a friendly wager with a couple other gearhead buddies. I was explaining this after I just did a job on a slant 6 that I got a reman'd balancer and the timing mark was way off as compared to the original one. This is without even moving the distributor. unfortunately, the reman'd one is wrong and I had to make my own mark for TDC #1.......

love that reman'd stuff:bootysha:

My truck went off like a shotgun out the tailpipes when I flooded it and killed the battery. When I did get a fresh battery, the fuel vapor in the exh fired in both pipes... BANG!!! the neighbors at my apt came out and asked who was shot....lol. The timing was fine, it was all fuel. So, without knowing more, I'm going to say 50% likely it's late timing or firing order, and 50% excess fuel. By each other a round...lol

Timing or a cracked cap and fire is running every where. My 1/2 pennies worth

-
Back