A long career

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
A few years ago, I started to make a list of race tracks I have raced at.
icon_eek.gif
icon_surprised.gif

New York: 8
New jersey: 5
Pennsylvania: 6
Maryland: 2
Virginia: 3
North Carolina: 3
South Carolina: 1
Kentucky: 3
Tennessee: 2
Florida: 8
Georgia: 6
Illinois: 1
Ohio: 1
Connecticut: 1
Mississippi: 1
50 dragstrips over a span of 64 years. This does not include road course, circle track (both dirt and paved), or autocross, as I have been mostly a drag racer.

I am curious what the five in Jersey are : I only know of four : my home track Island, Raceway Park ( R.I.P. ) , Atco, the old Strato Rods at Mcquire AFB/ Fort Dix., what's the fifth?

My home track also was Island Dragway, Atco, Englishtown, Strato Rods. Fifth was Atlantic City (straightaway of the circle track). Would have been around 1964. I only ran there once with my 63 Ford "stocker".

Cool stuff, Charlie! Most people will never know how big a drag racer you are. Huge history there!

Cool stuff, Charlie! Most people will never know how big a drag racer you are. Huge history there!
Back in the late 70's I kind of over did it. I had 4 cars running in 4 different brackets (one was also my stocker). Super Pro, Pro, Heavy and Street, And we were running 3-4 tracks a week.

Back in the late 70's I kind of over did it. I had 4 cars running in 4 different brackets (one was also my stocker). Super Pro, Pro, Heavy and Street, And we were running 3-4 tracks a week.
That's a lotta racin!

Most of the tracks 1/4 mile, but some were less. Even less than an 1/8 mile (straight away of a circle track). One track had a asphalt starting "pad" then onto the dirt track. Another track had a grass median between the two lanes, and used a traffic signal for starting, with a distance spot for eliminator. Others were airport runways, even an operating airfield, where we had to stop racing, to let a plane land or take off. Track Safety equipment was hit or miss. One track I went to for the first time, I asked question "where is tech"? Answer "What is that". Told to just find a parking spot, and pull into the lanes.

He's got books full of um. I've seed um. lol
Yeah, but the problem is, I'm old school, and tech challenged. I can't post them. I'll see if I can find someone to help me, later. Right now I have some hurricane cleanup, take care of my wife, and try to get my race car ready for a race in Va at the end of the month. Plus I trying to help another member out by building an A/C mount.
One picture I would love to post, shows the way I used to get to the track. A 52 Chevy (roughly 2 ton) truck, carrying my 65 Valiant 273 V-8 on ramps, and flat towing my 65 Valiant slant six car. Truck had a 235 six cyl 96 HP and a 4 spd granny 1st trans and 5.xx rear. 55-60 mph downhill with a tail wind.

-
Back