A MIG Weld Question

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I am doing a fabrication project where I tack weld two 20 gauge pieces of metal together, then cut out, bend - shape the mating part then tack it to the previously welded section.
There can be a 20 to 30 minute span between each tack weld.
Is it OK to just let the welder sit there, powered up or should I shut it down then switch it back on for the next tack. When I shut it down there is a short, 5 to 10 second delay before it shuts down and the the power up is almost immediate, so there is no loss of time to me, just wondering if it was best to turn it on and off as needed or just let it sit powered up through some very intermittent use.

Last edited:
It doesn't do anything at idle...just the display and maybe the fan? No harm

It's actually better to leave it on. After using it, the extended fan time will ensure that the transformer is fully cooled. Also, depending on the duty cycle of your machine, yous should let it run for an appropriate time when you are finished welding to cool it down.

BTW.......I do turn my gas off because I seem to lose a smidge somewhere along the line.

If you leave it on after use it gives the fan time to cool down the unit. If you shut it off the transformer never gets a chance to cool down. If you weld too much it will overheat and shut itself off then you'll have to wait for it to cool down to continue welding.

-
Back