A peaceful winter drive in Minnesota.

-
Amazing how clean and salt free your roads are. Very impressed.

What a gorgeous couple of cars! Where is your cabin? I have access to a place near Grand Rapids my parents used to be part owners of. We still try to go up there every summer as we have indefinite access. Nice that you can get the Duster out on these cold, crisp days and let her purr!

I just open garage and sigh. None of the cars will see asphalt for another 3 months.

Dang, what a nice clean Duster! And the the Charger, and you have a C body as well? I'd drive my cars in the winter, but down at the bottom of the state it's never nice enough for it. That and I don't have any heaters that work, no vacuum to the controls. I have those frostbit fingers, so I need my heat. Hope to see one of your cars in June, if you go.
Thanks for the reply. I don't own the Newport. It's at a nearby cabin, not on my property. I should have been more clear about that. The Newport has sat there without moving for decades and I had a really good look at it last summer. It's complete but pretty rough and likely rusted through at the bottom. I hope you get the heater working in your ride. My Charger has vacuum operated controls as well, and they work pretty well. And yes, the Charger will be at Mopars in the Park this year. See you there!

I enjoyed the pictures and like your post. Here at New London Mn it is -13 this morning. My cars will stay in today. I did take my grandsons 65 Dart for a drive a week ago. We try to take a winter drive with our cars when there is no salt.

20210106_150130.jpg

I remember that frosty february in 96. My best friend and i delivered a load of firewood to a family that really needed it. the wife took a photo of the thermometer out on the deck,showing -54 celcius.

I havent finished my projects, and when they finally hit the road, i plan to enjoy them. But i want to save them,and wont be cruising them when there is snow. Too much salt on the roads,and icy patches are the norm.

View attachment 1715688861 View attachment 1715688864 View attachment 1715688861View attachment 1715688864
I enjoyed the pictures and like your post. Here at New London Mn it is -13 this morning. My cars will stay in today. I did take my grandsons 65 Dart for a drive a week ago. We try to take a winter drive with our cars when there is no salt.

View attachment 1715689070
Does Windy Hill junkyard have any old cars left? We used to go there when we were young. Lots of stories to tell about that place.

View attachment 1715688861 View attachment 1715688864 View attachment 1715688861View attachment 1715688864

Does Windy Hill junkyard have any old cars left? We used to go there when we were young. Lots of stories to tell about that place.
The last time I went to Windy Hill (two years ago) it was a complete waste of my time. Years ago, perhaps 15 - 20, it was pretty good. Extremely picked over, very little useful A body stuff there. Go to Rohner's Auto Parts in Willmar MN instead. It's not that far from Windy Hill and they have a very nice selection of MOPAR stuff in all flavors: A, B, C, and some E body, and some older 1950s stuff too. I'll never go back to Windy Hill.

What a gorgeous couple of cars! Where is your cabin? I have access to a place near Grand Rapids my parents used to be part owners of. We still try to go up there every summer as we have indefinite access. Nice that you can get the Duster out on these cold, crisp days and let her purr!
Our cabin is southwest of Ely off of 169, by the Bear Head Lake State Park. Love your photo shot, BTW. That's some pretty big 70s (or is it the 80s?) hair!

I remember that frosty february in 96. My best friend and i delivered a load of firewood to a family that really needed it. the wife took a photo of the thermometer out on the deck,showing -54 celcius.

I havent finished my projects, and when they finally hit the road, i plan to enjoy them. But i want to save them,and wont be cruising them when there is snow. Too much salt on the roads,and icy patches are the norm.
I remember that day. Living in northern suburbs of Minneapolis my outdoor thermometer broke at -42 f. Goundhog day morning 1996.

I love the fact that you are driving your car and enjoying it. We all need to do that more, while we still can. Beautiful scenery in MN. I have been there many times over the years when I lived in Winnipeg and always enjoyed it. I have a vague memory of how cold it was in the winter of 95/96, remember my heating bills were pretty stiff, lived in a 1 1/2 storey house then, not much insulation in the roof.

Our cabin is southwest of Ely off of 169, by the Bear Head Lake State Park. Love your photo shot, BTW. That's some pretty big 70s (or is it the 80s?) hair!
1978. When life was good! And I had a lot more hair then.

Last edited:
You MN guys are crazy bunch. LOL
Just to show you how crazy we actually are, here's a photo of my thermometer this morning showing a temperature of -14 degrees below zero. Note the lowest recorded temperature of -16 below zero recorded earlier in the morning. This afternoon, I'll go for an hour long hike in the nature preserve by my house with the other crazies up here. Can't wait!

IMG_1908 (1).jpg

Beautiful pictures! We love going up there. Absolutely love Grand Marais area. We try to get up there a few times over the summer/fall. Our daughter is actually getting married next June in Two Harbors. Beautiful Duster! I don’t think I have seen it before. I’ve seen your charger many times over the years and actually talked with you out at RT garage a few years ago and you took my pic in front of your charger! Look forward to seeing it again hopefully at Mopars in the park this year or the weekly cruise in at El Loro in Bloomington.

C2A2F275-5558-4426-AC45-2CEDA12A71E3.jpeg

Heading north on I-35, into the Boreal forest with the factory cruise control holding 70 MPH right on the money.

Hello,
I'm curious and not intending on changing gears (pun intended) on you thread....
What ratio gears are you running in the differential? RPM at 70?
I have a /6 and would like to run at 70 also.
Many thanks, definitely a cool(pun intended again) car!!
Danny

Beautiful pictures! We love going up there. Absolutely love Grand Marais area. We try to get up there a few times over the summer/fall. Our daughter is actually getting married next June in Two Harbors. Beautiful Duster! I don’t think I have seen it before. I’ve seen your charger many times over the years and actually talked with you out at RT garage a few years ago and you took my pic in front of your charger! Look forward to seeing it again hopefully at Mopars in the park this year or the weekly cruise in at El Loro in Bloomington.

View attachment 1715690441
Hi Mike: Congrats on your daughter's marriage. Two Harbors will be an outstanding venue for a wedding! And yeah, I remember seeing you at the RT Garage. The Charger will be at MIP this June, and I hope to see you and your car there too. In the mean time, try to stay warm. Summer WILL come....eventually!

Hello,
I'm curious and not intending on changing gears (pun intended) on you thread....
What ratio gears are you running in the differential? RPM at 70?
I have a /6 and would like to run at 70 also.
Many thanks, definitely a cool(pun intended again) car!!
Danny
Thanks for the nice compliment, Danny. I hope all's well with you and yours in New Mexico. My Duster has it's original 7 1/4" rear diff with 2.76 gears. I don't know what RPM it runs at 70 mph because I don't have a tach. My guess is that it's about 3100. The engine is definitely not straining at that speed and doesn't seem especially loud and overtaxed. In fact, the motor seems very happy and comfortable at 70, runs nice and cool at 195 degrees, and would happily do it all day. The 225 motor/2.76 axle seems to me like an excellent highway setup. I've had no problems at all with it and can strongly recommend it. You'll have no problem running it at 70. My Charger is a bit different. The 440 engine feeds a 8 3/4" sure grip axle with 3.23 gears. At 70 mph it's turning at 3400 rpm and is noticeably loud. My V-8 powered Lexus turns at about 2300 rpm at 70, so you can see the difference. The Charger, of course, has enormous amounts of top end torque for passing which the Duster doesn't have. But the Duster can pass and accelerate just fine at 70. No problems there. So the Duster motor is turning slower than the Charger motor at 70 mph. Interesting.

Thanks VERY much for the info on both the /6 and 440 as i have one in each and the comparison is informative,
Best regards,
Danny

-
Back