A poor copy of a Cobra

-
I've nticed the Russians copy alot of things. Space shuttle comes to mind, back in the day, they copied the crashed United States Air Force B-29 bommer.

While they look exactly the same, not everything, they got the job done.

As faras the car....

I've nticed the Russians copy alot of things. Space shuttle comes to mind, back in the day, they copied the crashed United States Air Force B-29 bommer.

While they look exactly the same, not everything, they got the job done.

As faras the car....

We have a saying here in Finland that most of the russian technology was designed by a famous russian designer/engineer by the name of Reguspatoff..(Reg.Us.Pat.Off) :D

Stalin wanted an exact copy, so they did, right down to the dents and missing rivets and tears. Afraid to not follow orders exactly!

We have a saying here in Finland that most of the russian technology was designed by a famous russian designer/engineer by the name of Reguspatoff..(Reg.Us.Pat.Off) :D

Baha ha ha haha ha ha...... Yea, we kind-of-noticed that here as well. :violent1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtaeRZjWNc"]‪Caspian Sea Monster‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a machine that is called "The kaspian sea monster" it is an ekranoplan, original design was made by Finnish in a smaller scale, but russians wanted them bigger for military purposes, itt is quite scary since it is really big, really fast and it cant be detected by radar or such devices and that thing can be equipped with missile platforms and it can carry tanks and other equipment. These machines were developed during the last days of the old soviet union, but they stopped the research and development when they ran out of money and there was an accident during testing wich caused a total destruction of one of these vehicles. A few of them still remain and are either in naval museum or abandoned in some shipyard. But imagine a large aeroplane operating 10 feet from the surface of the ocean, it is fast and quiet since those turbine engines on the front are only used when accelerating to operation speed, they build a pressure between that weird wing and the ocean surface, wich lifts the thing out of the water and once it has enough speed, it only needs that one propeller in the tail to uphold the speed... I have got to get me one of those..:D

Ah the WIGs (wigs are short for, Wing In Ground-effect, planes have to deal with this when they come in for a landing) in action! These things rock including the Lun. Funny thing about the ekranoplan is that they can move heavier loads then most airplanes (including the c-5 galaxy but not the Antonov-225), but slower. They can't move more then boats/ships in a single trip but because they move infinitely faster then them it is possible to out do them and do it cheaper then shipping by air. Great inventions just like the Be-200 and the A-40 albatross (these things kick ***!).

‪Caspian Sea Monster‬‏ - YouTube

Here is a machine that is called "The kaspian sea monster" it is an ekranoplan, original design was made by Finnish in a smaller scale, but russians wanted them bigger for military purposes, itt is quite scary since it is really big, really fast and it cant be detected by radar or such devices and that thing can be equipped with missile platforms and it can carry tanks and other equipment. These machines were developed during the last days of the old soviet union, but they stopped the research and development when they ran out of money and there was an accident during testing wich caused a total destruction of one of these vehicles. A few of them still remain and are either in naval museum or abandoned in some shipyard. But imagine a large aeroplane operating 10 feet from the surface of the ocean, it is fast and quiet since those turbine engines on the front are only used when accelerating to operation speed, they build a pressure between that weird wing and the ocean surface, wich lifts the thing out of the water and once it has enough speed, it only needs that one propeller in the tail to uphold the speed... I have got to get me one of those..:D

I've always found it interesting that the russians gravitated towards unique technologies.

I don't really get the one's where they put the rocket pods on it. That doesnt seem like it would be all that effective.

It does make you wonder if it could have ever worked in battle though.

As for that cobra replica. IMO, i've seen worse.

I've always found it interesting that the russians gravitated towards unique technologies.

I don't really get the one's where they put the rocket pods on it. That doesnt seem like it would be all that effective.

It does make you wonder if it could have ever worked in battle though.

This was extremely effective, those rocket are anti-ship weapons which both launched and flew under radar, making them almost guaranteed ship killers (both the Missile and The Ekranoplan called the Lun).
Here it is as of Nov 30th 2009.
http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html
However, there have been plenty of reports that the Lun in currently being brought back to full duty.

The Be-200 in action
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__XflBfmVs4"]‪Seaplanes pick up water‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Here is another (much longer 23+ mins)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sui26PR-bY"]‪Be-200 at Gelendzhik 2010 part 1‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The A-40 Albatros (I'd buy one if I were stupid rich)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGOyBOv9Bo"]‪Wings of RUSSIA A 40 ALBATROSS AMPHIBIOUS AIRCRAFT‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at were the pylons are located under the wing. Under the wing tips is the A-40, closer to the body is the Be-200.

Here is another russian experimental transportation device, I want one of these too!!! It is a ZIL (Zavod imeni Likhachova) screw drive..:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI"]‪ZIL screw drive (2)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

This was extremely effective, those rocket are anti-ship weapons which both launched and flew under radar, making them almost guaranteed ship killers (both the Missile and The Ekranoplan called the Lun).
Here it is as of Nov 30th 2009.
http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html
However, there have been plenty of reports that the Lun in currently being brought back to full duty.

Sure, but I would think the maneuverability would be an issue. You never see any of the ekranoplanes making quick turns

Sure, but I would think the maneuverability would be an issue. You never see any of the ekranoplanes making quick turns

Really wouldn't need to, when the only way to detect it would be to look right at it with your eyes. It is very much the same idea that the B-2 bomber works off of.

Really wouldn't need to, when the only way to detect it would be to look right at it with your eyes. It is very much the same idea that the B-2 bomber works off of.

(1) Ground based radar. Works at 3- 50 feet above water or ground level (given that the ground does not have large hills which something could hide behind and the seas do not have large waves where a boat could hide behind). I have seen this stuff consistently pick up and track sail boats, ships, speed boats and low flying aircraft. Pretty sure this monster will put off a hell of a radar signature.

(2) Live satellite thermal imaging. No way that thing could escape that even behind dense clouds. That fire breathing monster is bellowing out tonnes of hot air from those archaic turbojet engines.

Think about it, when these things first came online the stuff your talking about didn't exist to stop it. Your talking about currect day tech vs something that came out in the 60s so yeah they would be detected. The current use for these is planned for S&R (search and rescue), nothing current day could match that function.

Think about it, when these things first came online the stuff your talking about didn't exist to stop it. Your talking about currect day tech vs something that came out in the 60s so yeah they would be detected. The current use for these is planned for S&R (search and rescue), nothing current day could match that function.

That would almost be reason enough to go get lost at sea. lol

-
Back