A question about Dusters

-

grassy

Reaction score
I know, in Canada, the production of Dusters ended in '76. In '77 the Aspen and Volare were introduced.

I have noticed on several Mopar boards, Volare Duster and the like. Was this an American naming thing to up sales..or was this used in Canada and I just never noticed since I was into Brit cars at that time.

'77 and for several years after were hard times..an old girlfriend had a new '77 Aspen that clonked into gear from day one..among other irritations,..

Curious..
Ian.

756444550_CKYju-X2.jpg

I had a 79 Duster same as the one in your picture but white. It was still living in Canada at the time and bought it from the original owner there.

They actually called it a Duster not a Volare ?

Here is another I just read of "Volare Roadrunner".

Grassy

They also made front wheel drive Plymouth (Sundance) Dusters around 1993. I've owned a couple in the past. I also owned a few of the Volare Roadrunners and Aspen R/Ts.
Dallas

The Duster name was resurrected three times, actually. First there was the Duster package on the Volare coupe; then the Horizon TC3 was renamed Duster when they started calling the Omni O24 the Charger; then the Duster package on 2 and 4 door Sundance. Here's where I stick my neck out- I hope it doesn't pop up again as I hate the thought of Plymouth names on Dodge cars (they could rename the Fiat 500, but thats more of a Dustmite!).:-D

...I had no idea...I know the cars you speak of but not the duster name..weird..sometimes a name doesn't fit the car like the "new" charger..

Thanks for the info and the neck sticking :)

Ian.

The "duster" name was a add on from the beginning. Valiant Duster came before Duster alone.

I know where a Volare Road Runner is at. Just lastnight I talked to my dad about getting in touch with the owner about it. The guy is kinda a jerk, a 600 pound jerk. He'll likely want both of my arms and legs for it even though it doesn't run and has been sitting for awhile.

Redfish,

Cool. I like to know where names come from. My BIL has a '60s Valiant..I will ask him if it was a Duster as well.

I am not sure if that car I posted is for sale..I saw it on the car of the month on another MOPAR list.

Thanks
Grassy

Redfish,

Cool. I like to know where names come from. My BIL has a '60s Valiant..I will ask him if it was a Duster as well.

I am not sure if that car I posted is for sale..I saw it on the car of the month on another MOPAR list.

Thanks
Grassy

60's Valiants weren't Dusters. The Duster started in 1970 with the 'Valiant Duster' (distinguishing the new sleeker 2 door from the 4 door Valiant). I believe they dropped the 'Valiant' name in '71 and just called them 'Dusters' after that, through 1976, (except, of course the light weight 'Feather Duster' in '76.)
Dallas

The Duster name was resurrected three times, actually. First there was the Duster package on the Volare coupe; then the Horizon TC3 was renamed Duster when they started calling the Omni O24 the Charger; then the Duster package on 2 and 4 door Sundance. Here's where I stick my neck out- I hope it doesn't pop up again as I hate the thought of Plymouth names on Dodge cars (they could rename the Fiat 500, but thats more of a Dustmite!).:-D
Don't forget the Trail Duster also! Plymouths' version of the RamCharger.
Mark

-
Back