A Question for Sailors

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I just heard a comment that sailors may feel uncomfortable when arriving in dock and having to maneuver on dry, solid (non-moving), mother earth. I never thought about it that way. I know us land lovers are not quite at home on the open seas. SS Oriana:

SS oriana.jpg

We went through some storms at sea that had us literally walking on the bulkheads. Never got seasick and never had a problem like the one described once ashore, though I did see others get seasick.

Best regards,

Harry

I just heard a comment that sailors may feel uncomfortable when arriving in dock and having to maneuver on dry, solid (non-moving), mother earth. I never thought about it that way. I know us land lovers are not quite at home on the open seas. SS Oriana:

A guy has to wonder if this might be the result of a few stops at a few of the pubs.................

That straightens you out. Seriously after a few moths at sea with all the shifting of the deck it feels strange not to have it.

Pulled into Scotland after 12 hours on the surface in a submarine during a storm. Everyone was weaving walking down the pier after getting off the boat, couple of beers took care of it : )

Submarines don't do well on the surface.

Pulled into Scotland after 12 hours on the surface in a submarine during a storm. Everyone was weaving walking down the pier after getting off the boat, couple of beers took care of it : )

Submarines don't do well on the surface.
12 hours on the surface? Were you in a Diesel with no battery reserve? Ugh, I can only imagine that 12 hours.....

12 hours on the surface? Were you in a Diesel with no battery reserve? Ugh, I can only imagine that 12 hours.....

Nope Nuc boat, but we would surface at the 100 fathom curve and transit in on the surface. Lots of guys puking in garbage bags and the torpedo's were shifting in their berths, glad I don't get seasick looking at some of those guys! Some places were shorter transits than others, Guam short, Scotland long! lol

First tour of duty, was a grunt (4th from right, standing with captured AK-47)......

pltone.jpg

2nd tour, rode and worked on the subs during the (not so) Cold War years......

HarryCar13.jpg

USS Gudgeon directly behind me in this photo. My favourite. One of the diesel boats that incorporated much of what was learned from the advanced Type XXI U-boats following WWII.

She was like an old car that if you just took care of her would run forever. Ended up being sold to the Turkish Navy in '83 long after I mustered out and they kept her in active service until 2004. She's now a museum ship at the Turkish Naval Base in Istanbul.

We had both diesel boats and nukes back then. Played chicken with the Russkies quite a bit and at times, would come back in a bit worse for wear. Cover story to news agencies was usually something ridiculous such as we had 'collided with an underwater mountain'. After some time in the floating drydock or tied up next to the tender repairing collision damage, it was back out on station.

DBF,

Harry

I have seen and had people get sick after getting back on land that didn't get sick out on the water.
And yes, beer helps.:D
If nothing else it gives something for your stomach to push against when you do get sick.

If you hit land liquored up, land sickness can be horrible. If you hit land sober, then a couple of beers will fix land sickness pretty quickly.

First tour of duty, was a grunt (4th from right, standing with captured AK-47)......

View attachment 1715176518

2nd tour, rode and worked on the subs during the (not so) Cold War years......

View attachment 1715176519

USS Gudgeon directly behind me in this photo. My favourite. One of the diesel boats that incorporated much of what was learned from the advanced Type XXI U-boats following WWII.

She was like an old car that if you just took care of her would run forever. Ended up being sold to the Turkish Navy in '83 long after I mustered out and they kept her in active service until 2004. She's now a museum ship at the Turkish Naval Base in Istanbul.

We had both diesel boats and nukes back then. Played chicken with the Russkies quite a bit and at times, would come back in a bit worse for wear. Cover story to news agencies was usually something ridiculous such as we had 'collided with an underwater mountain'. After some time in the floating drydock or tied up next to the tender repairing collision damage, it was back out on station.

DBF,

Harry

Cool pic's Harry!

Wonder what boat is next to the USS Gudgeon, looks like a Permit class (supposed to be Thresher until we lost her)?

While I didn't ride any Diesel Boats, I do have a set of DBF Dolphins:thumbsup:

I kinda feel bad for you bubbleheads. I guess I had it relatively easy riding out the heavy seas in a flat top. I never had issues with land OR sea sickness, though plenty onboard turned varying shades of green when we hit the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, where Puget Sound meets the Pacific. The only problem I ever had was trying to sleep without feeling the ship rocking under me. I tell you, I got the best sleep of my life when we were underway!

20180428_192313.jpg

This is me on the flight deck of USS Abraham Lincoln, September of '95. We were transiting the Straits of Singapore, and due to the lack of flight ops, the deck was opened for an impromptu steel beach picnic.

Last edited:
It wasn't bad while we were submerged. Do remember taking 10 degree rolls at 400ft on our way up to periscope depth thinking this will be fun when we get there!

You could sleep pretty good on the boat, nice and cool and they bottom out the oxygen level to minimize fires. Had fog in berthing in the north Atlantic during the winter, pretty weird.

My brother in law always walked like he was on a rolling deck. Feet pointed out, legs slightly bowed.

When he retired back in '94/'95 it took him years to learn to walk like the destroyer wasn't gonna toss him off.

-
Back