A Stroke has a new indicator

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .....she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.
They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.
Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
It only takes a minute to read this.
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.
RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S *Ask the individual to SMILE.
T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today.)
R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency numberimmediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue
NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

MMG thanks for posting this. I am going to get my family to read this. Very important for everyone to know especially if there is a member of the family with health problems.

Having experienced a mild stroke a few months ago, I can endorse the need to get medical attention ASAP. I didn't realize I was having a stroke, so didn't get help immediately. I was lucky it wasn't severe.

I still have some weakness on my right side, and my speech is slurred. According to the doctor, if I had immediately taken several aspirin and sought medical attention, I probably would not have any remaining effects.

I had been ignoring marginally high blood pressure, but you can bet I'm not doing that any more.

To the top for MMG =D>=D>=D>Smile Talk and Raise :cheers:

Everyone should read this
It could save a friends life or a family member or anyone around you in your walk in life , Thank you MMG.. =D>

It was the "strangest" feeling ever....and not in a good way. Started my day as normal. Then got a bit of a headache, that turned into a bit of tunnel vision. Then about 20-30 minutes later it was like everything around me was slowing down. By the time I realized I need to get help, I thought it was to late. In my own mind I thought I was talking but later found out that I was not. I knew for some reason my hands would not work like I wanted them to. I reached down for a drink and I could not grab or lift the can. Then my hands and arms drew up over my right shoulder. My face was pulled back to one side and somehow managed to wedge my feet and legs between the passengers seat and console as my mom was taking me to the hospital. It was one of those things that I thought was no big deal, until it was way past "normal". I would not wish that one ANYONE AT ANYTIME. I have been VERY lucky in the fact that I have pretty much recovered, except for a few pesky things. I sometime mix words in a sentence. I do not have the same hand/eye coordination that I once had. I also do not have anywhere near the memory that I once had. All in all I feel very, very lucky! If you ever get a severe headache....SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION...period!

Can happen to anyone,....i'm a 39 yr old guy,reasonably fit,non smoker,slightly high blood pressure....Had a mild stroke (Tia) this past June,woke up not feeling great,felt a little off,a hour later lost mobility with left arm/leg and almost blind just like that,my girlfriend got me to the hospital within 10 minutes.They pumped me full of meds etc,spent a couple of days there,numerous scans etc, mobility,sight came back within a couple of days,only lingering problems still are short term memory noticably not as great, jumble words every now and then.

Been to multiple doc's and two stroke clinics ,supposedly becoming more and common with guys between 30-50 , Looking back learning the signs of a stroke is simple and something everyone should know.
Had I been home alone knowing my stubbornness I would have had a couple of Advil etc and rode it out ,probably would be in rough shape now if that was the case. Little knowledge goes along was sometimes ...

my mom had a stroke a few years ago (fairly serious, judging by the way she was at the time).
She recovered fully- I'm thankful that she remarried years ago and that my step-dad was awake and caught it soon after it happened- the main key to recovery is quick treatment (like MMG said in the OP)

more of u guys read this trust me READ it u mite save some ones life one day .. and it could be mine u never know

I had a TIA at the age of 34 with the onset of my migraines. Pretty friggin' scary. I had just gotten home from work, my wife wasn't home yet, but I was talking to her on her cell phone. My speech was slurred, I was fumbling for words. There was an aura around my vision. Lost peripheral and it seemed like I was looking at everything through a set of binoculars backwards.

My wife hung up and called my sister. We lived around the corner from sis at the time and my sister was there in just a minute. She called 911.

I remember not being able to do what they told me to do. They wanted me to get off the gurney and into the wheelchair so they could wheel me down the hall for a CT. I couldn't remember how to make my feet work. My feet and the floor seemed a mile away. How could I make 'em work if they were that far away?

The thing is: I don't remember any pain. My head was killing me just an hour before, but all the time this was going on I felt nothing. Still an indicator for me. Up until just recently I lived with a dull throb that was always above my right eye. The throb was something I could live with. It would flair into a full on migraine. But when the pain went away - completely - was when I would get concerned.

My dad lived through a series of about four or five TIA's about two years back. My wife was home (my parents were living with us at the time) and immediately identified the symptoms. He refused to go to the hospital, right up until the time the ambulance my wife called for was sitting out in front of the house.

My grandad died from a series of small strokes my aunt - his custodial caretaker - refused to have looked at.

Now, with our history in the family, we have a tendency to look for the small things in each other, having lived through the events ourselves.

It's no laughing matter, guys. Even if it cost you out of pocket for the ambulance ride, take one if you need it. Don't worry about the costs, at least you'll still be alive to pay 'em off.

Wow... that was a shocking story. I have diabetes and me having a stroke is very likely compared to normal people. My grandpa died of a stroke. They found him on the floor at his house with part of his face pulled to one side indicating a stroke.

My sister sent this to me in email a while back. My reply
I just stuck my tongue out sideways while smiling and tryed to say "It's sunny out today".
Not too good. I think I've had a stroke. :)

On a serious note... My mother had just returned to her desk after morning coffe break and suddenly could not hit the correct keys on her keyboard. Her self diagnoses was correct which most likely saved her life or at least got her the imediate treatment needed to lessen the severity of the stroke.

One of my good friends just had a stroke last Feb. Luckily the guy he was with recognized the syptoms and got him help right away. He was helping his friend work on his car/truck and then started talking jibberish. The guy was with him when he suffered a mild stroke two years before and recognized that the garbled talking was a sign of a stroke. He got him to the hospital and they treated him. He was talking two days later and with physical therapy is now alomst back to normal. He sometimes needs a cane to walk now and uses a brace for his arm. He is working on getting his arm back to 100% again. They ended up finding that he had a hole in his heart and fixed that also. He is only 42! We have known each other since we were 4. Glad the guy he was with recognized the problem and got help right away.

Mopar muscle guy,
THANK YOU for raising stroke awareness! All of us are much better prepared to deal with stroke appropriately each time we hear about it and its signs and symptoms. After reading some of the other posts, I would like to clarify one thing. multiple aspirin are not recommended before the ambulance arrives. It is better to wait for a health care professional to administer aspirin- most of its benefits can still be had if taken up to 24 hours after stroke. Please don't confuse stroke and heart attack- they are not the same. Heart attack symptoms do warrant an aspirin right away. The most important thing for you to do if you or a loved one has stroke symptoms is get help fast! healthcare professionals have only about a 3 hour window from the time that symptoms start to administer stroke medication. TIME IS BRAIN!
Check out this link for more info any time http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/WarningSigns/Warning-Signs_UCM_308528_SubHomePage.jsp
I'm an ER RN.
Speak up other healthcare professionals, I know you're out there. Raise awareness for all other 20,000 members on this site!

My Dad had several strokes years ago. They are an evil thing.

-
Back