A/T Console Shifter Slide

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I'm closing in on the re-assembly of my '66 Barracuda and am missing a piece. In my defense, I didn't take it apart, so it may not have been there to begin with. The part is called a shifter slide. I looks like a rectangular piece of thin black plastic with a hole in the center (for the shifter) that keeps stuff from falling into the console. Classic Industries has them for $20 plus shipping (part # MD4005). I'm a tightwad & hoping someone out there has made this piece....maybe out of a black 5 quart oil container or something like that. I just hate spending another $30 or so for a little strip of plastic when I can make my own for little except the price of a couple of band aids when I cut myself......I'd like to hear your hints....dimensions?
Anyone?

Console wrap.jpg

A wanted ad would be a great place to start.

You're right! He has 3 of 'em next to the flexplate. I'll check with him. That may be the best way for me to go. Band-Aids are getting expensive. Thanks!

You could make your own. I used a hard plastic sheet from a cd binder. Another member used side of a gallon jug. The only thing to know is the hole in center is oval to suit the slight bow in it.

You could make your own. I used a hard plastic sheet from a cd binder. Another member used side of a gallon jug. The only thing to know is the hole in center is oval to suit the slight bow in it.
That was my original plan, but since I didn't have the old one to use as a template to get the dimensions, I figured I might be able to pick up a used one at a fair price.

Yeah, mine was broke in half through the hole. I suppose thats typical.

Find Avery 3-Ring poly Hanging File Binders for the perfect material ...
Black/HB11-10L-BK
Spending $20.00 + Shipping for something so simple is "Nuts"...

Cut 10-1/2 x 1 inch
20200224_072657.jpg

Last edited:
Find Avery 3-Ring poly Hanging File Binders for the perfect material ...
Black/HB11-10L-BK
Spending $20.00 + Shipping for something so simple is "Nuts"...

Cut 10-1/2 x 1 inchView attachment 1715476203
WOW....talk about creative solutions!!!! Since I didn't have the part at all, I didn't know the size or thickness that I needed, so I wound up paying $11 for a used one shipped to me from a FABO member. It should be here by the end of the week & I'll have my console issues behind me....I hope. :)

-
Back