A tale of two Dusters

-
Looks like the timing cover survived,lucky for you...Water pump musta been making one heck of a noise!

I dont have a thread about mine yet. My Duster is currently parked in a shed over 2,600 miles away. I have some pictures in my photo gallery. And you could be right about the idea, I just thought about it a month ago.

Ok, you had the idea first. But, we both plan on going about building it differently. I plan on using a 6.1L Hemi that has been bored and stroked to 7.0L and coil overs on all four corners and other road racing goodies.

Ok, you had the idea first. But, we both plan on going about building it differently. I plan on using a 6.1L Hemi that has been bored and stroked to 7.0L and coil overs on all four corners and other road racing goodies.

Nice! I'd do a Hemi But I can't afford it. Please make a thread with the whole plan!!!

Ok, I got everything buttoned up last night and drove it to school this morning. Everything seems to be working great! I just need to add a little more trans fluid because it isn't shifting quite right. As you might notice in the pictures, the radiator is not the stock size. It is out of a later model dodge truck. And it is a lot bigger! Wider and taller. In case you are wondering, not it doesn't fit without a little bit of massaging. I had to bend the edge of the battery box so that it would physically slide in between the frame rails(it is a press fit type deal). And then it hit the hood support with the cap. even with the radiator sitting on the core support. Noting that a large ball-peen hammer wouldn't fix! on to the pics!

Mounts ( the A/C condenser bolts are behind the radiator, you have to put them in first):

duster003-1.jpg

View down the radiator with everything but the fan:

duster004-1.jpg

Me showing some kid that came into the shop how it is done! haha:

duster005-1.jpg

All buttoned up... Before I washed it:

duster006-1.jpg

Thanks again for looking!

I got a lot more work done on my Duster (the driver) I added more air pressure to the tires which really helped the turn-in and responsiveness with surprisingly little ride penalty.
I Tested some new wheels...
I re-routed some vacuum and vent lines under the hood for a cleaner look and more room. Although I still haven't figured out where to put the horn that I had to take out to fit the new radiator so I have a single tone horn for the time being.
One last thing. I took the hubcaps off and can't decide which way I should leave it. Muscle car with the steelies or "grandma" with the caps? Feel free to vote!

Trial wheels (not mine so I couldn't clearance them to fit and they would need spacers to fit right):

duster004-2.jpg

As she sits:

duster007-1.jpg

As she sits rear:

duster011.jpg

With hubcaps:

duster006-2.jpg

Without hubcaps:

duster005-2.jpg

The color that I would love to paint my other duster but can't afford it and I really cannot decide what color I want it:

duster012.jpg

Thanks again for looking all!

Benjamin

I got my new(used) shocks in the mail Saturday... I'll put them on soon. Should make quite a difference.

I was experimenting with different colors and I came up with these:

This is close to the new "Go mango" available on the new daytona truck. And VERY expensive, But also very Beautiful!
Dusterorange.jpg

This was supposed to be silver.. But it came out more of a dove grey. Still quite nice.. and cheap.
Dustergrey.jpg

This is sorta a "hopped-up" petty blue.
Dusterblue.jpg

So? What do you think?

Last edited:
What program are you using to change colors and how?

What program are you using to change colors and how?

I use Photoshop because it is loaded on most of the computers at my school. I use adjustment layers to tweak the hue and then erase everything I don't want colored. Or their are other ways to do it. Also if you don't want to pay big bucks for photoshop then their is a free program called gimp that is similar. I have never used it personally but I know some people who do.

Why are you wanting to get started? I could do you one or two if you just want a couple color changes.

Or I do hand drawn renderings if you are interested in something more like that. But Due to the time and effort it takes I charge for those.

I got some more done with my Duster today. I got it all washed, cleaned, and shined inside and out. I also took some pictures (see below). I fixed a problem with my swaybars fixed, a bolt had fallen out. And most importantly I redneck corner-weighted it by adjusting the torsion bars. I say redneck because I have no corner scales. So I did it with heights. it was way off. The wheelwell lip to ground measurements came out to 26" left F/R, and 25 7/8" right F/R. Which should help counteract the extra weight on the drivers side (me, the battery, etc). I didn't notice any difference but I got stuck behind some slow people on the way home so I couldn't give it a fair shake.

Pictures!!!

duster001-4.jpg

duster004-3.jpg

duster006-3.jpg

Last week was spring break so I had some time to do my front disc swap!
I also got the aluminum tubing I need for my new core support for my other one and swapped in my new shocks. The shocks are now KYB Gas-a-just and are a LOT better than the ones that were on them (the originals I think). the discs work a lot better but I need to swap out my master cyl and my prop. valve for better feel and to keep the rears from locking. I got an alignment gauge too so I can do all my own alignments and not have to argue with the shop about what to set it at. So Far I have no complains about the new set-up except that the steering wheel is crooked so I think I'm going to fire my new alignment guy (me) or maybe just make him (me) do it again! :toothy10: The settings right now are -7/8* camber +1.5* caster and 1/8" toe in. I would like more caster but I ran out adjustment on my cam bolts. I'll have to figure something out when I have more time. I flipped the whitewalls in when I swapped wheels for the Big bolt pattern and got chrome lugnuts so it looks a bit meaner now! I forgot to take a pic though. Oh! Did you know that the wiper motor or the whole heater/ac has to come out to change the windshield wiper bushings? I chose the motor. Enough blabbing... pictures!

My goal
duster001-5.jpg

old vs new
duster007-3.jpg

All assembled nicely... With the spindles on the wrong sides!!! GRRRR! Everything back off! :angry7:
duster009-2.jpg

Assembled spindles...
duster010-3.jpg

correct side...
duster011-2.jpg

Old rear shocks...
duster013.jpg

New rear shocks...
duster017.jpg

pinch weld...
duster019.jpg

On a visual diet! It makes the side profile look nicer this way! I love black spray paint!
duster020.jpg

Before and after!
duster023.jpg

before:
duster027.jpg

After:
duster028.jpg

New brakes:
duster031.jpg

Finished!!
duster032.jpg

I re-installed this piece to.. It was all bent up and dented so I hammered it back to "factory specs or thereabouts"
007.jpg

-
Back