A Technical Drive in the Minnesota winter.

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hello Mopar friends and greetings from the tundra up here in Minnesota. Here's something a bit different if you're technically inclined like me. If you're not interested in this stuff, that's okay too and you can just skip over it. So here goes.
Out into the garage where my very stock and original 225 powered 1974 Duster has been sitting overnight. Outside air temperature 25 degrees, about 40 degrees in the garage, barometric pressure 30.07 inches. The mission today is a five hour daytime round trip from Minneapolis north to Cloquet MN and back. Preflight goes smoothly, oil quantity at the "full" mark on the dipstick. Coolant, brake, steering and windshield washer quantities full and normal. All five tires inflated to 30 psi, as per the placard. Two water bottles loaded into the center console along with winter outerwear should it be needed. Buckle in (engine won't start without my seat belt fastened) followed by six pumps on the throttle as the accelerator pump primes the engine and the choke plate closes. Hit the starter and 160 amps from the absorptive glass mat battery goes directly to the starter motor. Engine catches immediately and accelerates to 1650 RPM on high idle as the choke pulloff opens up the carb bore. Choke heater is now powered and slowly pulls the choke plate fully open over the next minute. The steering hydraulic pump - which has never been apart since it was built over half a century ago - immediately wakes up and pressurizes the recirculating ball steering gear. Full steering boost is now available. Meter Match fuel quantity signal processor is now up and running. Ammeter shows 10 amps positive as the 34 ampere rated alternator sends its current through three rectifiers and immediately replenishes the battery's 12 volt DC power. Within a minute, the ammeter shows negligible charging as the NOS stock voltage regulator regulates system voltage to 14 volts. Alternator looks very healthy with a rapid recharge of the battery. Say what you want, but I'll take an old school ammeter any day of the week over a voltmeter. Kick down the throttle after a three minute warmup and the fifty year old Plymouth engine settles into a 750 RPM burbling idle.
Down the driveway and it's off to I-35 heading north into the Boreal forest. Coolant temperature looking excellent, coming right up to 195 degrees and regulating there for the entire drive. Out of the traffic now and up to 75 MPH, and it's time to engage the cruise control. The stout little slant six loves the cold, thick, oxygen rich Minnesota air. Down to 20 degrees outside now, -25 with the wind chill at the radiator. 50 percent Prestone II antifreeze/softened water mix is now dumping its waste heat into the factory two row brass and copper radiator, thanks to one of the last guys in Minnesota in his old school radiator shop where he rebuilt this unit. The A-904 Torqueflite transmission's hydraulic pump is circulating its hydraulic oil forward into the oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator, keeping the fifty year old factory original tranny running perfectly. A brief throttle burst to pass a semi kicks her down into second gear, then right back to third as the engine settles in at 2650 RPM at 75 MPH. Time to engage the factory cruise control, and the throttle servo picks up its vacuum source at the power brake booster and engages the unit. Glad I spent the money on an NOS servo, as it keeps the speed nearly flawlessly at 75 MPH. Up the hills the speed sags a bit as the servo doesn't have enough throw internally to give the engine full throttle. Coming down the back side, she comes right back up to 75. I was lucky to find one of the last dual throttle cruise control brackets for a slant six engine left out there, and today's the payoff. The rebuilt heater box with its new copper and brass heater core makes everything warm and toasty in the Minnesota winter. Keeping the temperature selector lever in the middle yields a very comfortable 72 degrees in the cabin. Arriving in Cloquet it's time to refuel with 91 octane ethanol free gasoline at the only service station in the world designed by famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Pulling in and shutting down, I tell the mechanic to "fill'er up with premium and check the oil" as I go in to hit the bathroom.
Now it's time to head back, and the motor quickly climbs up to 195 degrees and stays right there. Passing Willow River, I see three bald eagles and four crows feeding on a road kill deer on the shoulder - my nature treat of the day. Everything is running perfectly. The highway is bare and dry, with unlimited visibility in the weak winter sun. Pretty noisy in the cabin at 75 MPH, so I use noise cancelling headphones to eliminate the ambient noise and accommodate some hearing loss (too much time in a C-130). Starting to get a bit drowsy, so I down a five hour energy drink and immediately feel much better and more alert. Calculated fuel economy 15.5 MPG after the fuel stop. The Meter Match signal processor that I installed gives me a very accurate fuel gauge now. Cross checking the speedometer with the speed app on my i-Phone shows a 1 MPH difference between the two. Glad I exchanged the speedo drive gear in the tranny with a 28 tooth gear to get the speedometer readings right exactly on. Everything is perfect, traffic is light and there's a beautiful view out the window. Charging system perfect, NOS Chrysler ECU firing the ignition flawlessly and the engine hums along like it could go on forever.
This is the payback for all the trips to the junkyard, e-Bay searches for date coded NOS components, and skinned knuckles out in the garage. Pulling into the driveway now, it's into the garage and up with the hood to let the trusty slant six cool down. Glad to be back home after a lovely ride as it begins to get dark. A quick check under the hood to wipe up some excess oil on the valve cover, and I put Dusty to sleep. Days like this are why we love this hobby. Thanks for reading, even if it was probably too much information. Now, I'd love to read your story - so please post one. Be well and God Bless!

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4486.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

IMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1646.jpeg

Last edited:
You drove the car just like it was intended to be driven, and just like our parents drove them.

My dad drove his 67 dart 300,000 over 25 years, it was his daily driver!

Great technical write up!

"Within a minute, the ammeter shows negligible charging as the NOS stock voltage regulator regulates system voltage to 14 volts. Alternator looks very healthy with a rapid recharge of the battery. Say what you want, but I'll take an old school ammeter any day of the week over a voltmeter."

x2 on the ammeter comment

Love your stories, especially the winter drives. You are the Garrison Keillor of the automotive world. I took the Scamp out today, albeit only to the end of the driveway lol. Poured a little gas in it and it fired right up after two revolutions. Sitting for a month dormant didn't phase it a bit. No heater in it or I would have taken it for drive on this beautiful winter day in Minnesota. Carry on!

My winter beater in Mpls was a 1973 Dart Sport convertiple ( Sunroof) 318 and a 904 . Put a set of tall narrow snows on it and it was a monster in the snow !
My 70 Charger SE 383 Magnum hybernated in the winters

Boy, when you say it like that, a whole lotta stuff had to happen it just the right order.

Our older engines love Minnesota winter air. It's typically low humidity. With added compression efficiency because of lower temps? Them seemly feeling more "Snappy" is because they are. I start my 440 once a month. And after warm up it's dying to go for a drive. (OK, that's me. Lol.) But I can certainly feel that throttle response is slightly improved.

For the record. Cars, mainly their radiator and cooling systems, do not feel "Wind Chill." Its true the wind generated in driving does lower temps quicker. But only to air temperatures. Wind chill is simulated calculations to living tissue.

I enjoyed reading it, but if you're going to be writing short stories learn to use paragraphs.

Very cool story!

I agree with paragraphs. LOL

Still cool though. Thanks for sharing!

You drove the car just like it was intended to be driven, and just like our parents drove them.

My dad drove his 67 dart 300,000 over 25 years, it was his daily driver!

Great technical write up!
Thanks, Dana. I'm old enough (67) to remember back in the seventies when every third car out on the road (or parked in the shopping center parking lot) was a Dart, Valiant or Duster. Literally billions of miles have been driven in these cars since they started making them. By today's standards, they weren't that comfortable - and certainly not as efficient at 15.5 MPG. Not that great in the snow and slush, and rusted like crazy. But we got where we needed to go and they rarely broke down by the side of the road. Solid, cheap and dependable transportation - which is why we loved them.

"Within a minute, the ammeter shows negligible charging as the NOS stock voltage regulator regulates system voltage to 14 volts. Alternator looks very healthy with a rapid recharge of the battery. Say what you want, but I'll take an old school ammeter any day of the week over a voltmeter."

x2 on the ammeter comment
Thanks, Bully. Yeah, the ammeter vs. voltmeter debate will rage forever. I've had lots of ammeters over the years and have never had one fail, short out or catch fire. They're usually the last instrument panel gauge to remain working when everything else in the cluster (gas, temp, oil pressure) quits. It tells me the rate at which the alternator recharges the battery which is an important indicator of the alternator's health. I think Mother Mopar probably had a pretty good reason for putting ammeters in their cars, and yes they did later go to the voltmeter. But that's just me. Both ways have their benefits.

Love your stories, especially the winter drives. You are the Garrison Keillor of the automotive world. I took the Scamp out today, albeit only to the end of the driveway lol. Poured a little gas in it and it fired right up after two revolutions. Sitting for a month dormant didn't phase it a bit. No heater in it or I would have taken it for drive on this beautiful winter day in Minnesota. Carry on!
Thank you, Rhonda. I really appreciate the compliment, although Mr. Keillor probably has more writing talent in his little finger than I do in my entire body. Nothing at all wrong with a driveway drive. I'll go out every other day and run up the Duster in my garage during the winter. I hope you can take the Scamp out for a lovely drive today, and I'm sure that you'll have a big smile behind the wheel as you do. Carry on!

My winter beater in Mpls was a 1973 Dart Sport convertiple ( Sunroof) 318 and a 904 . Put a set of tall narrow snows on it and it was a monster in the snow !
My 70 Charger SE 383 Magnum hybernated in the winters
That Convertriple was an awesome combo - sunroof and fold down rear seat. You have great taste in cars. My first car, a 1974 slant six Duster that I bought in 1977, was pretty bad in the snow. Would get sideways pretty quickly, probably due to the asymmetry of the front/rear wheel track. Good idea to let the Charger hibernate during the winter!

Boy, when you say it like that, a whole lotta stuff had to happen it just the right order.
Yeah, amazing isn't it? But it all happens with perfect reliability. That's why these things will run forever if maintained properly.

I enjoyed reading it, but if you're going to be writing short stories learn to use paragraphs.
I agree completely. Unfortunately, the program on my laptop won't allow me to tab new paragraphs when I'm writing on this website. But yeah, this article should have had several paragraph breaks. I just can't figure out how to do it.

My Late-A with a 9.5 compression-ratio, 2bbl slanty bucked snow really well. Bumper deep, snow-tires all 'round, 35 mph in Second gear, lean forward, no posi required; just keep her over 30.
But if you ever get hung up, it's gonna take
a lotta-lotta-lotta shoveling.
That's Not for me anymore............

I know the drive well, as we have a place just outside of Willow River, my wife is from Carlton, and I have relatives just across the Lift Bridge from Grandmas.

But, "winter"? Where? Certainly not here, or at least not this year! Heck, it was 52* here in New Hope just yesterday....

But after last year...I'll take it!! :thumbsup:

I know the drive well, as we have a place just outside of Willow River, my wife is from Carlton, and I have relatives just across the Lift Bridge from Grandmas.

But, "winter"? Where? Certainly not here, or at least not this year! Heck, it was 52* here in New Hope just yesterday....

But after last year...I'll take it!! :thumbsup:
I see no issues?

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

-
Back