A truck question

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 Ram 4x4. It's your standard 318 auto with a 9 1/4 shur-grip rear. My problem is when I start to go and I am turning I get a rubbing noise from the rear. It does this when I turn left or right but not when I go straight ahead. It also doesn't do it when the drivetrain is cold, only after it has warmed up to operating temps like after I have gone 5 miles on the highway.

It also seams to have a shudder in the rear like the clutches are slipping in the shur-grip. This only happens when I start from a dead stop on pavement and not if I really nail it.

Anybody got any ideas on these 2 problems?

My thoughts on it were.
1. The bearings are worn at the outer ends of the differential.

2. My shur-grip unit is starting to wear out.

The truck has about 115,000 miles on it.

Jack

I had a 71 and a 81 corvettes which I recently sold. I had a similar problem with the 71. It would do it when it was warmed up and left and right turns.

I wound up changing the rear diff gear lube and adding a limited slip additive
to it that gm sold.
The problem never happened again.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
I had the pinion bearing replaced a couple of years ago, maybe they didn't put the additive in.

Jack

Jack the diff oil shoul be changed every 24,000 km's. check your owners manual.

Change the diff oil, may as well put synthetic in there and add 2 bottles of mopar friction modifier. If there was no modifier added when the bearings were done you would have known within a week.
hope this helps.

I knew somebody would catch that. I've been a bad boy neglecting my truck. It's been about 40,000 km since the bearing replacement and this started not to long after. No excuses is there.

Jack

Thanks onehellofadart. That did the trick. No more noise,no more shudder. It surprised me when I took the rear cover off and drained the fluid. There was virtually no sludge in there. I cleaned out the whole area and put it back together to specs, added the proper fluids and hoorah.

Jack

That's this coming weekend Tom. I have to fit working on the truck into a very tight schedule. (working on car, working around house, expanding camp and a honey do list as long as my arm).

Jack

-
Back