a727 kickdown adjustment question

-

Kody meile

Reaction score
Hello again, so I recently stuck an edelbrock 1406 on my 318 (originally a 2bbl) and so I modified the linkage to obviously fit to the 4bbl carb, anyways my question is that isn't the 1971 and up torque flites have a part throttle kickdown? I have my kickdown adjusted when at WOT the throttle pressure lever on the tranny is all the way back max and and when relaxed the rod\sleeve is all the way forward with spring tension, I don't get kick down till im practically full throttle on the floor, is that right? it shifts pretty quicky as well unless im atleast halfway down on the throttle. any advice or opinions would be appreciated thanks!

ps.. its a 1975 dodge d100 318\727 stock other than the carb and intake.. and Happy New Year!

Is there an extra return spring on the tv linkage up by the carb? They don't usually have their own spring pressure at idle.

Did it work right b4? Do u have the Chrysler adaptor on the carb? Do u even have a newer style tranny in ur truck? Post pics of ur modification. Kim

Does your kick down rod have an adjuster ?
Lengthen the rod 1 turn at a time, until you get it where you like it.

I believe the part throttle kickdown came later, I am not sure. @Oldmanmopar will know for sure. Maybe he will chime in.

The orange setup is 4bbl notice the lever on the trans is much shorter. Sounds like you have the long lever on the trans. You may have to drill a hole closer to the trans for the correct geometry. Just because its bottoming when flat out doesn't mean the valve body is where it needs to be at part throttle.

DSCF0121[2].jpg

DSCF2878[1].jpg

DSCF2912[1].jpg

DSCF2914[1].jpg

DSCF2916[1].jpg

The orange setup is 4bbl notice the lever on the trans is much shorter. Sounds like you have the long lever on the trans. You may have to drill a hole closer to the trans for the correct geometry. Just because its bottoming when flat out doesn't mean the valve body is where it needs to be at part throttle.

View attachment 1715447735

View attachment 1715447736

View attachment 1715447737

View attachment 1715447738

View attachment 1715447739
im thinking I have the long lever, ill have to check later today tho, thanks for the pics btw!

Did it work right b4? Do u have the Chrysler adaptor on the carb? Do u even have a newer style tranny in ur truck? Post pics of ur modification. Kim
yes it worked fine before I swapped to a 4bbl , no I don't have any type of adapter, as far as I know it is the original 727 for it, the only mods I did is bend the throttle bracket over to line up with the carb and cut and section of a kickdown buckle\lever I had laying and bolted it to the 2 bbl lever that hooks to the carb to extend it, ill try to post pics later, been busy all weekend..

ohhh duhh, yes I have the adapter for the carb, I was thinking of something else

-
Back