a727 No reverse.

-

DodgeBeaver

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My name is Devon and I found some posts a few years back regarding a Dodge A 727 Transmission. My dodge motor home has this transmission and just started recently acting up and not going into reverse.

When in reverse it wants to go forward.

Does it have 3rd? IT DOES HAVE 3rd When manual shift into drive from 2nd.

Does it move forward in neutral? It does not have neutral and does move forward.

I was wondering if you could point me in a general directing for this issue.

Thanks for any insight!

Devon

I would make sure your shifter linkage is adjusted correctly. Otherwise no reverse may be the reverse servo, it's a common problem on 727's one way to tell it's the reverse servo is if all the forward gears work but when you back off the gas there is no engine braking.

I would make sure your shifter linkage is adjusted correctly. Otherwise no reverse may be the reverse servo, it's a common problem on 727's one way to tell it's the reverse servo is if all the forward gears work but when you back off the gas there is no engine braking.

What do you guys mean by shifter linkage is adjusted correctly? How would I go about checking this?

The RV has been sitting for many years and I am about to drop the pan to do fluid change anyways. Looks like I will be able to check out the reverse servo while in there.

Edit* Would this linkage just get out off place from driving or temp change?

Time for a rebuild.
The fwd clutch is dragging, and the L/R band is mia
As to the band; could be adjustment, could be servo.
But when it wants to go forward when in neutral, that's a mechanically dragging fwd clutch energizing the sprague. I can't see any other reason.
Pull the stick and smell the fluid. I bet it smells burnt. And when the pan comes off the fluid will be very dark with debris caked in the lowest spot in the pan. Stir it up. If it gets all sparkly has silver streaks in it, out she comes.
But If this is not the case then I'm wrong.
The guys are saying to check that the tranny is in Neutral when the shift indicator says it is. This is called synchronizing the linkage.You can get a pretty good idea that it is correct by pulling the shift lever(column shifter) towards you when it is in N. Then gently allow the spring in the mechanism to pull the lever back into the detent as you release the lever. If the lever goes straight back in without doing a little dance, it's probably really close. Then shift the lever into 2nd, and jiggle the lever up and down a bit. If the indicator needle centers on the 2, it's also really close. Finally if the lever has full travel from Low to Park, she's good.

The fwd clutch is dragging, and the L/R band is mia
As to the band; could be adjustment, could be servo.
But when it wants to go forward when in neutral, that's a mechanically dragging fwd clutch energizing the sprague. I can't see any other reason.
The guys are saying to check that the tranny is in Neutral when the shift indicator says it is. This is called synchronizing the linkage.You can get a pretty good idea that it is correct by pulling the shift lever(column shifter) towards you when it is in N. Then gently allow the spring in the mechanism to pull the lever back into the detent as you release the lever. If the lever goes straight back in without doing a little dance, it's probably really close. Then shift the lever into 2nd, and jiggle the lever up and down a bit. If the indicator needle centers on the 2, it's also really close. Finally if the lever has full travel from Low to Park, she's good.
Smell the fluid. I bet it smells burnt. And when the pan comes off the fluid will be very dark with debris caked in the lowest spot in the pan. If this is not the case then I'm wrong.

Thanks for the reply AJ. So you are thinking a rebuild is in order as well? I drove it up the highway 40 miles yesterday manually shifting 1,2,and 3 being drive. The day before all the gears were working just fine. I know the oil is going to be dirty just from the dip stick. Do you think flushing the tranny with Trans tune will have any benefit as well with the fluid change?

It goes in Park just fine and wont move when in park.

If I'm right, nothing will help.
If I'm wrong the pan inspection will prove it.

Yesterday; was reverse working ok too?

12/5 Reverse Worked fine.

12/6 Reverse was gone.

If you are right and it needs to come out Is this something that would be fixed with a tranny rebuild? I saw a lot of kits when seeing the reverse servo. What are my cost for a rebuild?

Reverse does not usually go like that;one day fine, next day gone. Reverse is achieved by simultaneously engaging , the L/R band(low/reverse), and the hi-drum. So with no reverse one of those is bad.
The L/R band is also used in manual low,but since the sprague is also working behind the scenes, automatically, there is no way to rule out the L/R band except by dropping the pan.
The hi drum is also used to make Drive/3rd gear, so if that works; by process of elimination, no reverse for you means the L/R band is mia. So it's time to drop the pan and check the band adjustment.
In all forward gears there is another clutch that engages; the Forward clutch . Chrysler calls theirs the rear clutch,cause it's the rearmost in their box.Yours seems to be working. But since your vehicle is creeping forward in Neutral, it is somehow still engaged, most likely,mechanically. There is no way for it to be so hydraulically, cause in Neutral the pressure to that circuit is dumped straight into the pan.
It may be that the L/R band is fine,but with the forward clutch engaged full time, with the selector lever in Reverse the tranny would be in locked mode; that is both clutches on and the L/R band as well. The result is no reverse motion.
That's my take on it........

Reverse does not usually go like that;one day fine, next day gone. Reverse is achieved by simultaneously engaging , the L/R band(low/reverse), and the hi-drum. So with no reverse one of those is bad.
The L/R band is also used in manual low,but since the sprague is also working behind the scenes, automatically, there is no way to rule out the L/R band except by dropping the pan.
The hi drum is also used to make Drive/3rd gear, so if that works; by process of elimination, no reverse for you means the L/R band is mia. So it's time to drop the pan and check the band adjustment.
In all forward gears there is another clutch that engages; the Forward clutch . Chrysler calls theirs the rear clutch,cause it's the rearmost in their box.Yours seems to be working. But since your vehicle is creeping forward in Neutral, it is somehow still engaged, most likely,mechanically. There is no way for it to be so hydraulically, cause in Neutral the pressure to that circuit is dumped straight into the pan.
It may be that the L/R band is fine,but with the forward clutch engaged full time, with the selector lever in Reverse the tranny would be in locked mode; that is both clutches on and the L/R band as well. The result is no reverse motion.

I appreciate the reply again. Unfortunatley I cant drop the pan maybe for a few weeks nows. we have several feet of snow on the way. :cheers:

I dropped the pan, there was shiny flecks like you said there would be. I have pictures of the underside after the pan drop and filter removal. Will these help at all? The part connected to the reverse plunger is very movable by hand

Will this rebuild kit fix my issues?
Dodge A727 Transmission Rebuild Kit Heavy Duty LS Kit HEG Stage 3 TF8

Last edited:
Will this rebuild kit fix my issues?
Dodge A727 Transmission Rebuild Kit Heavy Duty LS Kit HEG Stage 3 TF8

-I don't think so. In all likelyhood you are gonna need a more complete kit; one that includes the steel plates, and the L/R (rear) band. I recommend also a roller-clutch kit(rollers and Springs). These may be available as an add-on.The band pictured is the front one,also called the KD band.
-I have never bought parts from that supplier, and cannot attest to their quality.
-If you found the shiny silver trails in the stirred oil, then the TC should be flushed, as well as the lines to and from the cooler. The TC acts as a centrifuge and piles all those fillings up inside of it. Only a power-flushing machine will get it out.
-I strongly advise to not order rebuild parts until you have the tranny torn down.You may be needing hard parts, and if those are ordered at the same time, you may save some shipping costs.I am specifically thinking of the L/R drum.

Last edited:
I had the same symptoms, no reverse, moves forward in neutral. Foreward drum clutches and steels were fused together and couldn't release. 1st uses the forward drum only and in reverse, it was basically trans braking itself so it wouldn't move. Had a bad kick down adjustment that roasted the clutch pack. Just a thought

-
Back