A833 4 speed 86 truck?

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
Will this transmission be a worth while swap for my 66 cuda? I have an 86 model 360 engine that had a manual transmission behind it in the truck I got it from. I would be getting everything shifter and all.

I think that's the long version of the OD......if I'm not mistaken, you'd need a custom driveline. Not 100% sure about the shifter location either, but I think those have "both" locations for the 3-bolt shifter mounting flange too. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd do it! Gotta have overdrive nowadays!

If you use it as is it wont work without cutting the torsion bar crossmember out as it is right below that.

Long tailshaft. Driveshaft is not the problem. Trying to mount a shifter IS

We are using one. Switched the long shaft to a short when we rebuilt it.

Frank

If you are dead set on trying this install, you might be able to make it work. Only way - is if the trans has the shifter mounting all the way back, you will note that on some of the long tail shaft trans's there is a mounting location near the end of the tail housing. You could use that and fab your own longer shift rods. Keep in mind though, the shifter will come up through the floor to the rear of its normal position.

If it were me - I'd pass and get a true A body short tail shaft trans.

Look at brewers performance and passon performance web sites. They usually have the shorter a or f body extension housings and mainshafts for not a whole lot of money. You can use the shifter but will need to buy the correct shift rods.

In my 66 dart im using a truck od 4speed...all i had to do was have the drive shaft shortened...i used the rear shifter pad with the box n linkage from the truck n shift handle from a aspen or volare...works perfect with my console. Also shift knob is positioned in a very confortable position...i built my 360 with strong low end torque n it works well with the long 2nd gear in od 4 speed...like parking lot slalom dont need to down shift...

I think you could save yourself some real coin if you have the fabrication skills and tools
to cut, weld and drill/ screw this together.
I have taken those truck OD transmissions and fit them Into plenty of vehicles that they weren't meant to be installed in. I almost always put them behind a 440 myself but any engine you have the bell and flywheel for will work.
Sounds like you have all the parts from the truck donor, that is what makes it a economical
choice.
One of the benefits of a fab it to fit job like this is you can mount the shifter box closer to the rear if you have bucket seats and use a short stick for a short throw in a comfortable no reach position. Put it where it feels right to you when you have your seat adjusted where you like it.
You will have to make the shifter box mount bracket, modify floor pan and remake the shifter rods starting with the ones you have. Cut and weld tire irons between the factory ends to get them to the length you need them to be. The short e-body handle could be used if that's what you like.
Here is a picture of a truck setup modified for a street rod project to give you a idea of what
can be done. Those rods used to be tire irons, make them any length any bend. It has always worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20140419_075727_391-1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 281
-
Back