a833 with 904 yoke??

-

themoparguy

Reaction score
hello all, just registered to the forum and was wondering if someone had any information on this weird tranny i have. i have a 70 dart swinger i just converted from a 318/904 to a 340/4spd. i got everything together and tried to put a driveshaft out of another 4spd car i have and wouldnt fit. come to find out that the 4spd i just installed takes the 904 yoke instead of the typical 727 yoke. to be honest this is the first a833 ive ever seen with a 904 yoke. does anyone have any info on these kinds of trannies. like what they came in or what engines they were behind, or if somebody cobbled this thing together from parts of a 3 spd? any info would be helpful. thanks

Any idea what year the tranny is? I believe 66 takes the 904 yoke because I did the same and my trans is a 66. I thout I would have had to get a new yoke but I didn't

i actually read that article earlier before i came to this site and they didnt mention anything about a 904 yoke 4spd. lots of good info though. haha i googled all over for this thing and havent been able to find anything. i didnt look at the year on it yet. im going to head out in the shop later and put it up in the air and check the year. whats funny is i have piles of 4 spds in my storage container and this is the only one with the 904 yoke i have. haha luckily i had enough parts to make a driveshaft fit but mostly im just really curious. haha. first one ive seen

"66" and "67" 273 4 speeds use the small yoke. I assume slant sixes do also. I have some 4 speed OD that have the small yoke as well.

a lot on 318 and 273 4 speed cars came with the small yoke. they did this for many years

The A-833 isn't the only 4 speed that came in Chrysler products through the years. Are you sure that's what you have? Borg Warner and Saginaw were in the fray as well, although rarely ever mentioned because they were not performance oriented transmissions. A lot of people aren't even aware of it, but it's true. I've seen quite a few. Trucks, and F bodies were the primary users I believe, but I think they also came in others as well. The BW and Saginaw all came with the small yoke output shaft. Are you sure what you have is an A-833?

I have an OD (overdrive) 833 with a 904 yolk. I am thinking thats what you have. Ceck the in and out ratios for 3rd and 4th gear. 4th is still 1:1 but 3rd in OD. They flipped the linkage plate to make it shift in the right order.

I have an OD (overdrive) 833 with a 904 yolk. I am thinking thats what you have. Ceck the in and out ratios for 3rd and 4th gear. 4th is still 1:1 but 3rd in OD. They flipped the linkage plate to make it shift in the right order.

I was just going to say this , if the trans is an alum case and tail it's an OD A body 4 speed .

The 4 speed I got was build 10/66 and I was surprised that the yolk from a 1967 /6 auto fit on it. Would this make the trans weaker? I guess it came out from behind a 273. Could this type of trans also be from a 383 car with the small yolk? It is definitely a abody a833 mopar trans. What code(s) would identify what engine came in front of it.

There are some '66 transmissions. They are not all that common, and my own '66 273, 4-speed 4-barrel, Dart didn't come with one. They must have burned their inventory of them up in /6 cars in '67, because according to my parts manual, it doesn't exist in '68. I've reubilt a hundred A833s, and I've never run across one yet. I think Mopar did alot of evolution within car lines right there on the assembly line, so strange things end up in alot of cars.
I've got a '75 NON-OD 4-speed with a cast case, and a 309 gearset out of a Duster... another bizarre transmission, but not the norm.

My 68 Dart has the small output 833- it is weaker than the one with the 30 spline output but its ok for street small blocks on street tires, I tried drag radials and managed to split the slip yoke.

My car is an early 68 car, it has a bunch of 67 style parts on it and was a 273-2 833 car.

the two a-833's that I have
the aluminum case OD tranny was behind a slant six, came out of a 77 Volare and has a 26 spline output

the iron unit, from the stamped serial number on the case, the tranny was assembled in Jan of 1970,
not sure what it came out of, it has a 30 spline output

both are 23 spline inputs.

hello all, i found out that it was a 67 833. probably out of a 273 car or something. ive got a new project going now. the dart is gone, now im converting a 64 valiant from a slant six 3 on the tree to a 340 4 speed car. got the combo in today and let me tell you what scatter shields do not even come close to fitting in the tranny tunnel. i spent the whole day and part of yesterday building a new tunnel out of sheet metal. not fun at all but worth it. ive got the spring inboard kit on it and 3.91s with 10.5 street drag radials and an all iron overdrive 833. should be a helluva ride. 8)8)

Hey,

I have this set up in my 66 Cuda, the A833 with the 904 yoke. What would be the part number for a new yoke if mine has some pitting on it and it is causing the rear seal to leak? How many splines doe it have and what are the dimensions? I do not have it apart right now so was asking.

Thaks

Dave

I don't know. But what I'm thinking is, you have a /6 or 273 4 speed that has the 3.xx :1 first gear. At least part of the mainshaft was smaller.

Yeah, I know that I have the smaller yoke. It takes the 904 rear seal, how many spline does the 904 shaft have. Do I just buy the yoke for a 904 transmission?

-
Back