A833 with Twin/Triple Stick Shifters?

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
I know it sounds bizarre, but I'm thinking of installing an A833-OD in my 1948 Dodge Truck, and in the nature of a "Stock" Appearance what better way to match the era than a Twin or Triple Stick Shifter setup. One Shifter for 1st/2nd, One for Direct Drive/Overdrive (4th gear and 3rd/OD) and one for Reverse. (Or a 3-Speed Shifter that shifts 1/2 and Reverse, with a separate shifter for Direct/OD)

Mostly it'd be pretty damn simple, 3 linkage rods, a pivot for the shift handles to anchor to, etc. But I'd have to devise a way to lock out each shifter so that 1st/2nd, Direct/OD, and Reverse couldn't be accidentally engaged in pairs at the same time.

Any ideas on such a setup?

The original plan was to Install a "Brownie Box" (Auxiliary Transmission) in the truck, but with the 4WD Conversion and Divorced NP205 Transfer Case I don't have enough Wheelbase to fit a Brownie Box and Transfer Case under the truck. With just the current 4-Speed and a Transfer Case, the Rear Driveshaft is going to be about 29" Long.

So instead, I'm going to go with an A833-OD instead with a Divorced 205.

The transmission already has an internal interlock so you cant shift into two gears at the same time. I would imagine that the 2-3 shift would be a little tricky with the twin sticks but it sounds like a cool project, keep us updated.

The transmission already has an internal interlock so you cant shift into two gears at the same time. I would imagine that the 2-3 shift would be a little tricky with the twin sticks but it sounds like a cool project, keep us updated.

Yep, I agree.

One Shifter for 1st/2nd, One for Direct Drive/Overdrive (4th gear and 3rd/OD) and one for Reverse. (Or a 3-Speed Shifter that shifts 1/2 and Reverse, with a separate shifter for Direct/OD)

Mostly it'd be pretty damn simple, .

You would never be able to shift such a thing. This would require a rather complicated shifter encroaching on something like "vertical gate."

If you build this HERE is what I'll guarantee

Some day, you WILL get rattled. Plus, you can't shift it very fast.

You'll pull a big 'ol impressive 1 - 2 shift, then........

shift into neutral,

and by mistake......

shove it right back into first.

Yeah. You caint shift an 833 into two gears at once even on the bench. Ain't happenin.

Actually you can shift it into reverse and any forward gear..............

Hmmm, been a long time since I popped the cover off the side of an A833 to even remember the Interlock.

In which case that makes the whole idea a hell of a lot easier.

2 Shifters for the Forward Gears, 1 for Reverse.

If you build this HERE is what I'll guarantee

Some day, you WILL get rattled. Plus, you can't shift it very fast.

You'll pull a big 'ol impressive 1 - 2 shift, then........

shift into neutral,

and by mistake......

shove it right back into first.

Overthrowing Neutral to 1st/3rd could be avoided with a Lock Out type deal on each shifter (maybe). Something similar to a Ratchet shifter setup, only it would prevent throwing into a gear until the lever was lifted for a shift. Who knows, it's something to ponder.

Actually shifting it (provided the chance of overthrowing past neutral could be eliminated) wouldn't be hard. Can't be any worse than the '55 Dumptruck with a 4-Speed and 2-Speed Rear that my grandfather owned. (up until about 2 years ago when he got rid of it). That truck was actually pretty fun, and confused people my own age when it came time to split gears...for each gear. :D

Had I known ahead of time what my grandfather would have got in scrap weight for the truck, I'd have bought it from him and dropped a regular stepside bed on it to make a rod-truck.

I don't know what makes you think this will work. You will NEVER be able to shift this quickly

1 to 2 shift is easy. Just move the 1 - 2 lever

To shift from 2 to 3 you must

1.......CAREFULLY move the 1 -2 shifter from 2 back to neutral without getting excited and shoving it back into 1

2........Take your hand off the 1 - 2 shift lever

3......Put your hand on the 3 - 4 shift lever

4.....Move the shifter into 3rd.

If you want to be able to shift this thing reliably get a three speed shifter for the forward gears and then rig up a shifter for reverse, this way you will still have two sticks but it wont be a pain in the *** to drive.

I bought a 64 valiant with the OD four speed that was setup with three levers, I drove it that way until the novelty wore off then put a regular shifter on. It was not good for quick shifting.

If you want to be able to shift this thing reliably get a three speed shifter for the forward gears and then rig up a shifter for reverse, this way you will still have two sticks but it wont be a pain in the *** to drive.

Actually you could do the same thing with a 4 speed shifter just "tie" the reverse lever way out of the gate.

-
Back