A833 Woes and how to paint it

-

brewil

Reaction score
Hey everyone....

Coming at you from South Africa

So I purchased a B-body A833 and a 65 tail housing and shaft which the shop here has made into a beautiful combo for my A-body without using a ball and grunion setup - so engineering is great!

HOWEVER!!!

They insisted on painting the entire trans after assembly (over grease and grime and silicone), over all the bolts including the bell housing side mating face.

I purchased a Brewers Rebuild kit but hey...Why use the proper gaskets when they can just silicone between the tail and main case, Inspection Cover and main case.

So now I don't know how much of the kit they've used, especially if they ditched the gaskets in favour of silicone. I have asked to return the box, for them to take it apart, and I will have the cases cleaned and painted and they can re-assemble.

Now the issue is:
How can I check if they've used the parts from the kit - bear in mind that they took everything off the B-Body Main Shaft and re-installed on the '65 A-Body Main shaft.

INCOMPETENCE drives me insane.

The pics are taken the day they painted the thing.

Do you guys clean and paint the cases before assembly or after???

Trans 1.jpg

Trans 2.jpg

Trans 3.png

Trans 4.png

Trans 6.jpeg

I glass bead the cases when apart and clean, then bolt the empty cases together, degrease and clean with lacquer thinner and clear with high heat engine enamel. Then disassemble the empty cases and build the transmission. IMO no silicone sbould be used anywhere. Silicone belongs on bath tubs.......

The 4 speeds were bare metal from the factory, I clear them to try and reproduce this look but prevent rust.

IMG_20160708_230101.jpg

shift rods 1.jpg

Thanks for the reply mate.

What do you use on the shift to stop corrosion??

Yeah the retainer is off with the new Bellhousing Fabricator.
The A833 is being mated to a Hemi 265

The '65 Tail housing also had really thick solid black goo inside. It had got into the rear bearing as well. Someone said this was a rust preventative lining...but why would you need a rust preventative lining on an oily inside??

I'd say you picked the wrong "shop." I have no advise. Go yell at them.

I would be afraid

I would completely disassemble this transmission and see what is there, really.

I would not trust that build to be anything useful.

So sorry to hear of your trouble and hope it works out. Mopar or no car brother

You took your Trans to a reputable shop I can only assume .
That said, they rebuild transmissions on a production scale, I.E. internal build , exterior quick cleaning and a fast rattle can paint to make it presentable.

The builder uses silicone as a matter of speed and not having to deal with stocking or ordering gaskets for everything that goes over his bench.

That said, there is no good reason for not using the gaskets you supplied unless he wasn't handed them at the time of assembly by the front office.

OK so much for the shop not blasting the case and laying on a show quality paint or powder coat job like you would. That would cost extra if they even offered something like that.

The final test is the road test , If it works like new, then your golden. Unfortunately for you that sounds like it will be quite a while before its on the road.

So talk the shop about the gaskets and about the warrantee being extended and get it in writing .

Last time I went in before I picked it up, the assembled shafts and gears were just lying around..for weeks and looked a bit dirty...hairs, dust etc so not really feeling confident.

How hard should it be to turn the input shaft once assembled?
And if I take the shaft/gear assembly out is there any way to clean it without dismantling the whole thing??

Should there be any play when turning the shaft back and forth?
Just want to make sure

Yeah I handed him the rebuild kit from Brewers. Then later he came back and said He needed rollers (which were in the rebuild kit) so I had to order just the rollers. Then they don't use the gaskets given to them.
The agreement was (based on payment and his assertion) that the cases needed to be cleaned (tail housing had black gunk in it that had folded the original rear bearing).

Obviously this wasn't done. I get that some people won't do the job they're tasked with because they just want to take your cash but it's the time (6 months they had the box) and now the time taking it back to be dismantled etc etc etc

I had the same issue trying to get people to weld a tail loop onto my motorcycle...always skew and the same excuses - 3 different shops

No Brains! If he's a dick about it I'll just Facebook his shop with negative reviews.

You took your Trans to a reputable shop I can only assume .
That said, they rebuild transmissions on a production scale, I.E. internal build , exterior quick cleaning and a fast rattle can paint to make it presentable.

The builder uses silicone as a matter of speed and not having to deal with stocking or ordering gaskets for everything that goes over his bench.

That said, there is no good reason for not using the gaskets you supplied unless he wasn't handed them at the time of assembly by the front office.

OK so much for the shop not blasting the case and laying on a show quality paint or powder coat job like you would. That would cost extra if they even offered something like that.

The final test is the road test , If it works like new, then your golden. Unfortunately for you that sounds like it will be quite a while before its on the road.

So talk the shop about the gaskets and about the warrantee being extended and get it in writing .

I just got a new rebuilt trans from passon performance. The case was sealed with gaskets and also looked like silicone but assume it's rtv clear silicone.
No issues with leaking.

As luck would have it they found my complete and unused rebuild kit in the box provided to them. So I took the tranny back and watch them dismantle it. Are you meant to knock shafts out with a hammer and driver?

Aw they couldn't get the rear shaft and gears out from the tail shaft, the damn ring clip wasn't moving, luckily they took it to a press down the road and go the shaft out!

Oh what's that? Where is the rest of the cast material that broke off holding the ring in place. No problem, the owner will get it fixed

AND THEN I WILL COLLECT THE AMN THING AND DO IT MYSELF

Wow, i have torn down maybe 10 manual transmissions in my life,never needed a press for anything. Snap ring retainers usually hide under a steel plate screwed to case.
I pull parts, lay them out on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and inspect,clean and replace whats needed. I rarely had a manual for anything.

Its my opinion that if you can pull it out of the car, you have enough skill to fix it. Never underestimate your own abilities. What you paid to have work done would have bought you the manual and tools.
Best of luck.

-
Back