A855 - 5 Speed

-
As to the bell housing centering jig, mandrel, fixture, I can't see it being accurate to much more than about 0.002" (0.001" offset) as it has to be a slip fit. But there's no denying it'd be faster than using a dial indicator.
It allows the installation of the bellhousing to be assured of being EASILY within the .010 total runout margin. It's a solid mount, and doesn't have any elbows or other "flex" that could cause the measurement to be off.
Stick a light in the bellhousing, look for gaps, and adjust/install accordingly. BAM!
Right. If you have a scatter shield (everyone should) and you order the tool for the big hole it won’t work on an OE small hole bell housing.
I already have paid for 2 Browell units, one Mopar, one Pontiac. I am not sure what I'll have to do to use my Mopar Browell alignment tool to check the runout of the scattershield I will certainly install along with the 541 cu in stroker.
I can't imagine the diameter of the bellhousing hole in a Mopar specific scattershield being a different size than a Mopar "factory" bellhousing??

It allows the installation of the bellhousing to be assured of being EASILY within the .010 total runout margin. It's a solid mount, and doesn't have any elbows or other "flex" that could cause the measurement to be off.
Stick a light in the bellhousing, look for gaps, and adjust/install accordingly. BAM!

I already have paid for 2 Browell units, one Mopar, one Pontiac. I am not sure what I'll have to do to use my Mopar Browell alignment tool to check the runout of the scattershield I will certainly install along with the 541 cu in stroker.
I can't imagine the diameter of the bellhousing hole in a Mopar specific scattershield being a different size than a Mopar "factory" bellhousing??

The scatter shield has the big hole in it. I forget the diameters. The Lakewood (if you can still get it) came with a steel spacer that goes over the bearing retainer so it will fit in the hole.

So the hole in the scatter shield is OE MoPar sized. It’s just sized to the big bearing retainer.

If the Browell tool gets the bell housing to .010 TIR that’s more than accurate enough.

The big hole is 4.805" IIRC, and it was in my Lakewood.
But there's also a big hole (5.125") in stock bellhousings for the OD transmission's bearing retainer, too. Some people call that the giant hole :)

The scatter shield has the big hole in it.
Some people call that the giant hole :)
Not to be confused with...
The GREAT Blue Hole:eek: :D
shutterstock_1470515801-GreatBlueHole-W.jpg

I dove to 131 feet there, but the ENTIRE area, EVERY dive trip I went on in Belize was the BEST dive trip I have had. :)

I remember when the rumors started about this transmission becoming available. It was great to hear of an American built bolt in-NO floor modification 5 speed transmission.
I wonder where things went wrong. Was it that Passon had trouble getting reliable vendors to supply parts? Was it that he had some unreliable employees assembling these transmissions?

I remember when the rumors started about this transmission becoming available. It was great to hear of an American built bolt in-NO floor modification 5 speed transmission.
I wonder where things went wrong. Was it that Passon had trouble getting reliable vendors to supply parts? Was it that he had some unreliable employees assembling these transmissions?
Hey KD! From what I know, my position being that of an extremely happy a855 owner, and to be specific and fair:
¹ The a855 has done everything great. Highway and around town, stop and go traffic, all of those circumstances, no problems with the transmission.
² On the drag strip, I don't really think much at all about hitting the gate for the next gear, where obviously the 2-3 shift may seem like 5th could want to take 3rd gear's rightful place, I don't recall that ever happening. The ENTIRE shifter mechanism, rods, even clips and washers are all very precise and VERY heavy duty. I "no lift shift" and although I have a rev limiter as insurance, the 855 and supplied shifter have been fantastic on the drag strip, and I use my original Pistol Grip no console shifter, the longest one of the 3 kinds made.
The "to be fair" part is I have asked occasionally for several years about buying what Jamie would consider the parts, gears, etc that I should have, given that I'm going to drive my car and occasionally thrash it, hard, and I have yet to get a list or any spare parts, despite my efforts. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking my 541 cu in builder for 700 ft lbs torque, as that is, and I've asked Passon more than once, a safe, conservative limit for continuous torque output. As I've said, it makes a little gear noise, I guess like the famous "M-22 Rock Crusher", not that I know what the M-22 sounds like, but with gears cut in a manner to handle that kind of power, I am neither surprised nor disappointed and definitely not disturbed by it. My Roadrunner is a cacophony of American Musclecar sounds, and when I can, I ride with open headers, and when I utilize the entire 3" exhaust system, the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers make quite the symphony themselves.
IT FITS PERFECTLY, and the outward appearance screams "beat me".
Also, to be fair, IF I should experience a failure, I have my 18 spline "Hemi" 833 to swap in, although that would really knock down my highway miles, because I swapped out my factory 3.54 gears to 4.10s and in 5th I turn 750 RPMs less w/that combo vs the 833 and 3.54s. I have already looked at Jericho and other options should the 855 succumb to the 541 on the 1320...

So what’s the price on that billet jig?
The whole setup for Mopar: $175 and IIRC another $175 for the Pontiac (GM) because both the "post" that mounts to the crankshaft and the "donut" were different than the Mopar.
If my future scattershield is a different diameter hole, I can just get a new "donut" machined by them, and I'm sure that's the lesser cost of the 2 parts.
FOR ME, given my concerns about a dial indicator "rig" being unstable, the massive costs in parts and labor of the affected equipment (transmission alone) and the hazards of an improperly centered input shaft, AND what I see as a much easier and highly accurate process, well, I already put my money on it, twice, one for each of our 2 cars.

Seeing the usual chatter on the interwebs regarding the A855, got me thinking and I'm curious:

Anyone receive a trans with remnants of paint, or evidence of it being stripped?

20220221_105607.jpg

They shipped you that trany painted blue ?
I think he's sayin he painted it blue and sent it back after they couldn't fix it. I think he's wonderin if somebody else mightta ended up with his old transmission.

I think.

Yes, I painted it once I thought it was the last time I would have to r&r it.
The color a certain dimwit asked what it was?

At one point, they told me I voided the warranty by painting it.

They never sent me the warranty, even after asking multiple people multiple times, and being assured they would send it.
Christine at GFI even tried to claim it was sent and I must have given them the wrong address, the same address they sent the trans to, and drove to!

Ah, memories.

Voiding a warranty with paint, another outrageous scumbag tactic to weasel out of responsibility.

So, yeah, I completely believe they didn't scrap that trans, or that case, which they claimed to have 'machined' again at least once.

I'm thinking the chances are extremely high that they passed it off to some other poor soul.

I'm finally in a position to get the hot rod I have wanted for 20 years. Because it will be a driver, I was thinking about the 855 as an OD option...but not after reading this shitshow! Tremec, please.

I'm finally in a position to get the hot rod I have wanted for 20 years. Because it will be a driver, I was thinking about the 855 as an OD option...but not after reading this shitshow! Tremec, please.
Right. I have "about" a 95 Tremec T5 out of a Mustang I am gathering all the parts to put in Vixen, my 64 Valiant. I've compared all the ratios with the 903 3 speed and it should be one hell of an upgrade.

Right. I have "about" a 95 Tremec T5 out of a Mustang I am gathering all the parts to put in Vixen, my 64 Valiant. I've compared all the ratios with the 903 3 speed and it should be one hell of an upgrade.
Considering you have a 3-speed...is it going behind a slant six?

You mean to tell us if you would have went through this you wouldn't be warning others? RESPONSE: Compare it to couple separated; you only get one side of the story. I believe something went wrong, but that guy keep coming back like a vengeace. If i would make my decision on one guy having issues with his stuff on every site i go to, i would not buy anything. I follow every threads i found on that 5 speed since 2010. I applied for it in Aug. 2013 and got called to pick it up myself in Sept. 2017 which i did. I have no regrets yet.

This thread was never about warning anyone, in fact I started it out by asking for help and specifically stated this was not about bashing anyone.

I praised Seth at GFI many times for his time and efforts, but the powers that be shut that down, told him to end all communication, and they would take over.
Except, they made a decision to never reply again.

I wasn't the only one with issues, in fact not only is it the same exact issue with multiple trans, they've tested them and found the same result, and one of the owners, Huff, his personal car pops out of 4th.

I only documented my experience.

I keep stressing this, the one takeaway from this is everyone involved will do anything and everything to ghost you when/if there is a problem.

This thread was never about warning anyone, in fact I started it out by asking for help and specifically stated this was not about bashing anyone.

I praised Seth at GFI many times for his time and efforts, but the powers that be shut that down, told him to end all communication, and they would take over.
Except, they made a decision to never reply again.

I wasn't the only one with issues, in fact not only is it the same exact issue with multiple trans, they've tested them and found the same result, and one of the owners, Huff, his personal car pops out of 4th.

I only documented my experience.

I keep stressing this, the one takeaway from this is everyone involved will do anything and everything to ghost you when/if there is a problem.

-
Back