A901 Trans Capacity

-

340inabbody

Reaction score
OK so I fixed a pan leak by replacing my pan with a cast Aluminum pan from Summit that holds an additional 2 quarts. I thought the 904 capacity was 5 quarts. So I added 5 while the engine was at temp in neutral and kept adding ATF. It took 9 quarts and it just started to hit the dipstick indicating 1 quart low. I haven’t added it yet because I am so far past what I expected.

The engine is cold and not running it shows full. So what am I missing here?

OK so I fixed a pan leak by replacing my pan with a cast Aluminum pan from Summit that holds an additional 2 quarts. I thought the 904 capacity was 5 quarts. So I added 5 while the engine was at temp in neutral and kept adding ATF. It took 9 quarts and it just started to hit the dipstick indicating 1 quart low. I haven’t added it yet because I am so far past what I expected.

The engine is cold and not running it shows full. So what am I missing here?
Was there none in the converter? Correct dipstick?

Jake

with a bone dry 904 with a deep summit pan ...9 to 10 quarts sounds about right....leave it 1/2 qt low until it gets warmed up....jack up rear and run it thru the gears

Was there none in the converter? Correct dipstick?

Jake
Looks like the original dipstick I had. With the pan out of it I could see about an inch protruding from the valve body or what ever the bottom of the transmission is called. With a deeper pan I shouldn’t need a different dipstick right? Meaning the level should be measured from the botton of the transmission right? I do have an extension of the filter such that it is stiing down about an inch deeper.

with a bone dry 904 with a deep summit pan ...9 to 10 quarts sounds about right....leave it 1/2 qt low until it gets warmed up....jack up rear and run it thru the gears
Wow thats great to hear but how does one reconcile the match I did based on stock capacity at 5 quarts?

I have a bone dry 904 with the summit pan on it...with a brand new 8 inch converter with at best only a cup of ATF in it...plus cooler lines and cooler ...it will be filled and started up tomorrow morning..

I have a bone dry 904 with the summit pan on it...with a brand new 8 inch converter with at best only a cup of ATF in it...plus cooler lines and cooler ...it will be filled and started up tomorrow morning..
How much ATF went in? Let me know at the end of your fill process she took in total please!

filling it tomorrow...lol
I think i am a few qts short to do it today

Don't even idle a motor if the trans stick doesn't say full. If the tube is down in the case a little, or the stick cap is loose and the stick goes down too far, the read can be off far enough for the pump to suck just air and then nothing in the trans gets lubed. The pump bushing scores the converter and every bushing, thrust washer and gear gets starved of oil and starts to fry. Transmissions should have oil pressure gauges; or at least an idiot light just like a motor.

Don't even idle a motor if the trans stick doesn't say full. If the tube is down in the case a little, or the stick cap is loose and the stick goes down too far, the read can be off far enough for the pump to suck just air and then nothing in the trans gets lubed. The pump bushing scores the converter and every bushing, thrust washer and gear gets starved of oil and starts to fry. Transmissions should have oil pressure gauges; or at least an idiot light just like a motor.

Hi the cars we are talking about don’t have pressure sensors agree would be nice. Even today most cars don’t which tells me most Americans are idiots (look no farther than our politicians lol).

So my question still stands. I am at a one quart low on my dipstick and alresdy put in 9 quarts for a drain and fill from a pan change out. Is this even reasonable?

Also how does one determine if they even have the right dipstick? Mine the tip was approximately 1.5 to two inches protruding into the pad as measured from the top valve body.

well....I put 8 qts in it this morning....It is just on the tip of the dipstick....going to pick up another 10 qts at walmart this afternoon....fire it up....trans works like a charm...all the gear forward and hit trans button in neutral it backs up....engage 1st gear ...hit trans button and it did not move....all is working great....

should take another two qts....so that is 10 qts.......

just put 5qts in and start it up. If your convertor is low, itll gobble it up in N and register correctly on the dipstick. If you have a stock 11" convertor, itll take about 3.5 quarts on top of your 5 fill. if you have a deep pan, it will take even more than an empty stock 904 at 8.5 qts. Jut dont fill it in P or it will overfill and come out the pump vent.

we put all 8 qts in...since this not my 1st rodeo with empty trans with deep pan and empty converter...

With a smaller convertor your fill capacity will be obviously less. What size convertor did you have?

8 inch converter....still going to take 9 to 10 qts...cooler and lines empty too...

First problem is you think you can tell that you're one quart low by reading the stick. Second problem is you didn't read my first sentence. Idk why people think they can run the motor and shift thru the gears and even drive their car when their trans is low on fluid; without burning it up. Start your car in neutral on level ground. Remove the neutral safety switch. Fill it until it runs out. There's your full mark.

-
Back