A904 Governor

-

JoJo

Reaction score
Well, my governor decided to come apart and knock a hole in the extension housing. I have the TransGo TF-3 kit installed. Would it be okay to leave the valves out and replace the housing with no issues?

IMG_20190906_191846480.jpg

IMG_20190906_191851392.jpg

You can if you switch to a full manual shift valve body. Then the governor is by-passed and can be left out.. If your valve body has any automatic shift then the governor must be in place.I have no idea what the TF-3 changes in the valve body.

The TF-3 kit is the Full Manual version. I assume it does not need the governor... I could be wrong. I want to make sure before I replace the housing and have to tear it back down.

Yep.Just what I did.I have a race tranny with a manual valve body in my car.A 65 B body. Switched it with a regular valve body.I had hopes that the governor was still in it.Someone else built the tranny.Made a call to A&A and was told that a manual valve body can be used with or without. The said you really can't see it, so pull the tail housing or take a 50/50 chance.I gambled and lost. Mine didn't have one.

Yep.Just what I did.I have a race tranny with a manual valve body in my car.A 65 B body. Switched it with a regular valve body.I had hopes that the governor was still in it.Someone else built the tranny.Made a call to A&A and was told that a manual valve body can be used with or without. The said you really can't see it, so pull the tail housing or take a 50/50 chance.I gambled and lost. Mine didn't have one.

I stumbled across your thread after searching around. This is a first for me... Never thought the governor would fail. I'll be leaving mine out and hoping I won't have anymore issues.

Yes, u can leave the calves out. There I a cupped plug in the governor port. Kim

I have a confession :( There is no cupped plug in the port. I haven't used a plug since 2013 or 2014 after swapping transmissions and using the same valve body.

Do you know what size plug fits the governor port?

U won’t find 1. I tap it to 3/8s. I just use a 3/8s inverted Allen bolt. It’s the 1 where u put an Allen key into. Use a little locktite blue. Kim

Well, my governor decided to come apart and knock a hole in the extension housing. I have the TransGo TF-3 kit installed. Would it be okay to leave the valves out and replace the housing with no issues?

View attachment 1715401891

View attachment 1715401892
This just happened to Tony Santos a while back.
When you put in the tf3 and converted to manual shift, you cut off the oil supply to the governor leaving the weights to hammer back and forth on the snap rings. Eventually the assembly comes apart.
The weights should have been removed when the kit was installed.

yes...it happened to me....I am using Full Reverse Manual Valve Body....as trans are being rebuild I will remove the governor...

-
Back