A904 ID - Strange Situation

-

mickey_bigdaddy

Reaction score
Found a A904 transmission in a 1978 Dodge Monaco. I'm trying to understand what I have since looks like something doesn't add up here.

The number on the tranny's driver side flange is #4130415 with date code of 6258. The VIN tag on the door says the car was made in 5/78. The engine in the car is a 318 2BBL and the fender tag has an engine code of E44 which confirms the 318 2BBL factory motor.

So, I don't understand why the #4130415 with manufacture date of Friday, September 15, 1978 is not coming up right on the data found on the list of transmissions @ MYMOPAR.com with #4130415. The only place the #4130415 is listed, it comes up factory for a "1979" car with 360 motors.

Found on another website that this #4130415 comes up as a 1979.....360..........904/999......standard(W/lockup).

Any idea if this is truly a 360 A904 tranny?

Attachments

• 093x.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 108.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 277
  • A904 Trans ID.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 288
Some of that stuff at MyMopar (unless it is Chrysler original documents) is known to be incorrect. I am NOT a "numbers" guy LOL

A 904 is a 904, it doesn't matter what motor is in front of it, that is all taken care of by the flex plate, converter and dampner! I would, however, expect to find a 727 behind a 360 in the late 70's,'although it can be either trans! My guess?? The trans went out in the Monaco and somebody swapped that one in there!!

Ok, I hear ya'. Think I'm gonna use it behind my motor for now. Any issues I should be aware of if I use it behind my 318 or 340?

I've got an A230 I want to swap out with this A904.

A 904 is a 904, it doesn't matter what motor is in front of it, that is all taken care of by the flex plate, converter and dampner! I would, however, expect to find a 727 behind a 360 in the late 70's,'although it can be either trans! My guess?? The trans went out in the Monaco and somebody swapped that one in there!!

It's quite common to replace a blown tranny with one from a wrecker.. Have done quite a few myself, when customer couldn't afford an overhaul..

It's quite common to replace a blown tranny with one from a wrecker.. Have done quite a few myself, when customer couldn't afford an overhaul..

Yeah, I figured that but the dates are so close I thought it might be a factory install from the start. Isn't the VIN on the passenger's side flange? I'll check that too.

I would bet the original transmission gave out at one point. Unless your building a numbers matching car I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything works correctly. Like someone else said. A 904 is just that. A 904

How well do you know these transmissions? I've been doing research these past few hours and there are different versions of the A904. I found the following:

900 Series Torqueflite Info

History:
The first A-904 automatic transmissions appeared in 1960 with the new "G" and "RG" slant six engines. The designation was A-904G.

Characteristics:
The 904 torque converter has a 1 1/2" drive hub and a 122 tooth ring gear.

Types

- A904G - This was a three front clutch, two rear clutch transmission used with Slant six cars. In 1980, the A-904G got the 2.74:1 first gear ratio and 1.54:1 second gear ratio. The 904 was later redesignated as the 32RH and the "2" is the rated torque capacity in hundreds of ft. lbs. (200 ft. lbs.)

- A904LA - The A-904LA was used with the new LA 273 V8 engine.

- A998 - The A998 was a four front clutch, three rear clutch transmission used in 318 2 barrel cars and had four or five clutches. The four clutch 998 had made it's first appearance in police car form in 1975 in the 360 2 barrell (Federal) Dodge Coronet. All 1981-1988 A998s had the 2.74:1 first gear ratio, 1.54:1 second gear ratio and a five clutch direct drum. A998 did not have the double wrap low & reverse band like the A999.

- A999 - The A999 appeared in 1974 as a beefier small case transmission to put behind 360s. It was widely used in 360 equipped B-bodies and and C-bodies. It had a five disc front clutch pack, a three disc rear clutch pack, a 2.45:1 first gear ratio and a double wrap low & reverse band. A lockup version of the A999 appeared around 1980. Around 1981, the A999 got a 2.74:1 first gear ratio and 1.54:1 second gear ratio, along with all other 900-series Torqueflites. In 1984, the A999 appeared in 318 4 barrel equipped police cars, replacing the standard 727 transmission used before that time.

This is why I asked the original question. I wanted to know if there was anything about this transmission that I needed to know. From the list above, looks like the one I found in the '78 B-body MIGHT be a A999.

That looks good to me. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If it is truly from a 360, the converter (if original) will have a balance weight welded to the front. If you install that behind a internally balanced engine like a 318 or early 340 it'll vibrate itself to death

BTW: I do not agree with the above statement that a 998 doesn't have a double wrap low/reverse band. I've had 2 and both had the double wrap band. In fact I've never seen a v8 904 series that didn't have the double wrap band

Found a A904 transmission in a 1978 Dodge Monaco. I'm trying to understand what I have since looks like something doesn't add up here.

The number on the tranny's driver side flange is #4130415 with date code of 6258. The VIN tag on the door says the car was made in 5/78. The engine in the car is a 318 2BBL and the fender tag has an engine code of E44 which confirms the 318 2BBL factory motor.

So, I don't understand why the #4130415 with manufacture date of Friday, September 15, 1978 is not coming up right on the data found on the list of transmissions @ MYMOPAR.com with #4130415. The only place the #4130415 is listed, it comes up factory for a "1979" car with 360 motors.

Found on another website that this #4130415 comes up as a 1979.....360..........904/999......standard(W/lockup).

Any idea if this is truly a 360 A904 tranny?

I can't help with the id of the transmission, but keep in mind that in 1978 Chrysler started to use a lockup converter. Check the converter and look for a decal. If the decal is still there, it will tell you if it's a lockup style or not. If the decal is not there(a rebuilt unit) the rebuilder may have put his own part number on it with either a stencil or a marking pen.

I can't help with the id of the transmission, but keep in mind that in 1978 Chrysler started to use a lockup converter. Check the converter and look for a decal. If the decal is still there, it will tell you if it's a lockup style or not. If the decal is not there(a rebuilt unit) the rebuilder may have put his own part number on it with either a stencil or a marking pen.

So lock up is not good? Can it be changed to non-lock up?

When I inquired ( cant find the thread) It was considered the non lock up input shaft is considered more stout and that there is more to it than just changing the converter and input. Never got much more in depth. For my purpose lock up will be fine. But still curious. Maybe others will chime in.

There is nothing wrong with a lockup transmission. That being said, others may not agree, and it depends on what you will be doing with the car. A lockup transmission can be made to handle more horsepower, but at an expense. There are others on the board that can help you with what you may have to change, if you are going to use the lockup transmission in your car.
It can be changed over, but it will require what is called a "DUMMY LOCKUP CONVERTER" and other parts. But at this time, it is not known if your transmission is or is not a lockup trans. If you can, take a photo of the input shaft, that will help.

-
Back