a904 knocking in park

-

dart65

Reaction score
Hi I am new and hope I am posting in the right place. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. I have a 65 dart gt, 273 4bl, with a904 trans. When I am in park there is a loud knocking sound. I shift into neutral and the sound almost disappears completely. However, when shifting slowly (millimeters at a time) into gear I can hear the knock come back, once in gear it goes away. I have driven the car with an out of wack trans linkage for about a year. I was unaware it was not right.(again I am new to this) It was shifting me into third before I reached 25mph and am afiraid the undue stress on the trans has caused some serious trans damge. I fixed the trans linkage follwing the advice of some old post on this site. I was told the trans was rebuilt less then two years ago. I can't seem to find any info on my problem. Anyone know what this probelm is and how I can fix it myself, my mechanical experince is limited to basics- water pump, leaf springs, rear shocks, fan clutch...if the job is too big for someone of my experince anyone know good mechaincs in the L.A.-Calif. area???

When you say "linkage" I assume you mean the kickdown linkage? If that is out of adjustment, it will not shift normally but shouldn't cause a knock. Sounds like something is about to physically break. My guess would be the flex plate but it could be the convertor hub where it meshes with the oil pump. Either way, the trans has to come out. Check them both once it's out and easy to inspect. Sometimes you can see a broken or loose flex plate by looking through the inspection cover and/or removing the dust cover. If you're just plain lucky, you might just find the convertor bolts loose. If the holes aren't damage you can just put some locktight on the bolts and retighten them.

ok..

went you put it in park...does the car not move?...i mean it is locked in park?

there is a parking rod that engages in a slot....

Inspect the flexplate very closely for cracks. A cracked flexplate can make all kinds of strange and unusual noises. From knocks to even sounding like a person screaming...and anything in between. If it's not that, I would suspect something inside the torque converter or front pump.....but I doubt the transmission linkage had any impact on it.

Cudamark, Thanks for the reply. Yes that is whay I mean the kickdown linkage. I fixed it so it shifts strong however I keep getting this ticking/knocking/rattling sound in park. It shifts great now though.

ok..

went you put it in park...does the car not move?...i mean it is locked in park?

there is a parking rod that engages in a slot....

In park it is completely stopped even on a hill. Well.. it rolls back maybe an just a smidge in park after I take my foot off the brake on a hill then does not move. Isn't that normal thought to have a little movement after releasing the brak on a incline in park???

yes...that is normal....just going thru process of elmination...

yes...that is normal....just going thru process of elmination...

Thanks.. your and everyone's help is greatly aprreciated If anyone else has an idea please post it. But, so fat it looks like flexplate or torque converter related problems... Dropping the trans out is something I am not prepared to do myself so I guess I am going to take it to a garage. Anyone from Cali. know a good trans man in the L.A. area??? Also is it a bad idea to keep driving it like this???

Thanks.. your and everyone's help is greatly aprreciated If anyone else has an idea please post it. But, so fat it looks like flexplate or torque converter related problems... Dropping the trans out is something I am not prepared to do myself so I guess I am going to take it to a garage. Anyone from Cali. know a good trans man in the L.A. area??? Also is it a bad idea to keep driving it like this???
I wouldn't drive it that way at all! If it only spits a bolt completely out, it can knock a hole right through the bell housing. I've seen engine blocks get broken in severe cases where the flex plate and/or convertor come apart.

-
Back