A904 manual lever to manual valve ??

-

flamejockey13

Reaction score
OK....can't find this anywhere and the tech manual isn't real clear. My push button trans was running fine when pulled for engine swap. All sorts of trouble after reinstalled including bad shift cable retainer spring. Had reverse only but found that manual lever had popped out of manual valve groove. Used screwdriver to gently push back up & in groove and reassembled. Ran fine one day after cable adjust one hole at a time. The next day I backed out of garage and no drive (or very little). Nursed it back in garage, disconnected shift cable at buttons & you can feel it shift thru all detents. Starts in "N", goes in "R" usually but no drive so I'm thinking lever is out of groove again. Before I pull pan again I'd like others opinions & does lever go above or below the manual valve?

The lever sits on top of the manual valve. There's an E-clip on the throttle lever shaft that holds everything together. Maybe it popped off, allowing the manual lever to float up and off the valve? But I'd expect the detent ball to shoot out, so you wouldn't feel it go through the gears...

20180704_184757.jpg

20180704_185121.jpg

Also if the manual lever was up too high it wouldn't actuate the NSS. Hmmm.

The lever sits on top of the manual valve. There's an E-clip on the throttle lever shaft that holds everything together. Maybe it popped off, allowing the manual lever to float up and off the valve? But I'd expect the detent ball to shoot out, so you wouldn't feel it go through the gears...

View attachment 1715194764

View attachment 1715194773
That was my thought too. I couldn't figure how it got out in the first place unless the shop that gave the tranny a once-over did it when seals were replaced but I don't know if they touched the shaft seal. They were only looking for leaks to fix. What's driving me crazy is that after I fooled with it for a couple of hours by adjusting the cable it worked for a while then reverted to form and lost "D". Or I shift it briskly a few times and move in & out of Park and it works. I put 10 miles on it the last time and kickdown & everything worked perfect...next night no go. Any chance the manual lever is bent just enough to allow it to slip in & out? I am really dreading dropping pan as the headers have to drop to give access. PITA!

Last edited:
Also if the manual lever was up too high it wouldn't actuate the NSS. Hmmm.
NSS not a problem. When I adjusted cable the last time I went 2 holes at a time until I lost "N" then took it back 1 at a time until it engaged all gears. Parked after test drive and the next night SOS... no "D". I wonder if the detent side is held closely enough in place to keep the ball but the other end could lift enough to slide in or out of groove with a slightly bent lever? I'll db'l check clip tomorrow. Thanks again.

Last edited:

View attachment 1715194764

View attachment 1715194773
Thanks for the pic...really clear there. Looks like a console shift. I see it has an E-clip for the cable adaptor, mine has a nut. Also the end of the manual valve in pic is rounded and mine is squared off at the end and at the groove.

Thanks for the pic...really clear there. Looks like a console shift. I see it has an E-clip for the cable adaptor, mine has a nut. Also the end of the manual valve in pic is rounded and mine is squared off at the end and at the groove.
OK … as to the e-clip. Is it on the outside of the case or the inside? I can't see it from under the car and if its on the outside wouldn't it hold the shaft up vs down?
Also, could a loose kickdown keep "D" from engaging at very low/idle throttle. I'm thinking it should only affect at higher speeds when more PSI is needed on clutches.
I'm feeling dumber by the hour here.

Last edited:
-
Back