A904 stopped shifting into 3rd...

-

Calebnielson6

Reaction score
I was driving on the highway going around 65 and all of the sudden the car downshifted into 2nd without warning, after pulling over for a minute I checked the fluid level which was good, no leaks but it still won't shift. Shifts into 2nd fine but It doesn't try to go to 3rd. I recently rebuilt the transmission with a shift kit and it had been working fine for 500+ miles until now.

Ok. If it still has reverse, the direct clutch might be ok.

Probably not related to the clutch packs since it downshifted instead of slipping. More likely a pressure problem caused by something coming apart in the governor housing or in the valve body. Check the shift linkage and throttle pressure/kickdown linkage adjustments first. If all good there, pressure tests from a factory service manual may lead to the cause, or at least the right direction toward the cause.

No, it shifts into reverse at a normal speed and every function works besides 3rd. I adjusted the kick down cable last night and it was a little loose but that still didn't seem to fix the problem, also readjusted the shift linkage which didn't have an effect either.

What did you use for sealing rings on the back of the pump? Wonder if a ring broke.

Nope, a broken ring would lose reverse. Maybe a thrust washer snapped and fell out; and the front drum moves around differently when third is engaged than reverse; causing an intermittent internal leak around said rings. First check fluid level, then drop the pan.

Sounds like something's messed up.

Ok here's my plan;
If you have Reverse and Second then ALL your clutches and bands are working. This means the problem is in the VB or possibly in the manual-valve detent, highly unlikely, and still a VB issue. So check it. Then if that is right, next;
For testing purposes only, disconnect you KD linkage and take up to 30 mph..... gently;
If all three shifts occur very early then your VB is probably fine; and for sure your Governor is Ok.
But if third gear still will not come in, then likely the 2-3shift valve is hung up, or one of them daymn check-balls disentegrated, lol. In any case the VB will have to come out, and while you got it down you can airtest the clutches.
Re install the KD.

-
Back