A904 SUPER Servo. low/rear question

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
i have a A904 1973.... that doing rebuild for street performance... I finally got around to starting it .... question the low/reverse super servo kit looks different. and using a trans-go tf2 shift kit as well... using the new super servo parts, transfer the small (RED SPRING IN LAST PIC) and retaining clip, and then the new seals supplied with servo... question though the new servo has play after installing the smaller spring transferred over.. did not have to compress to get ring on... is this correct? instructions vague... and when using the tf-2 shift kit I use the plan large spring for 904. it says.... just concerned on the free play, if that is normal, for did need to shim something? for 727 it says to remove spring and stack 3 washers? pics attached. of what I got.

superservo1.png

superservo2.png

low servo.jpg

is it worth using being that way? is a street transmission mainly. just wanted better hold and since I was in there? made sense to me.. also have Kevlar bands.

just looking to know if anyone else out there has installed tis with the springs, etc. is it not a solid model, it does have the piston thought it with the Jesus clip...

so you don't have to add sevo washer spacers or anything? this is normal? what difference dose it make? I just thought that tight smaller spring under retainer is the cush spring, correct? this is supposed to do this? just making sure I didn't install this thing tighter wrong, don't want to do again... car will going into storage soon.

so you don't have to add sevo washer spacers or anything? this is normal? what difference dose it make? I just thought that tight smaller spring under retainer is the cush spring, correct? this is supposed to do this? just making sure I didn't install this thing tighter wrong, don't want to do again... car will going into storage soon.

When installed there won't be any end play because it'll be sitting on the LR actuating arm and have fluid behind it.
That cavity under the servo stays full of fluid even when the trans isn't in reverse.
The spring just soaks up a harsh engagement or bounce of the band when it applies.

Of course it would bother anything to shim it up either, so whatever you feel best with. :D

...........I never shim it solid as it makes for too harsh of a reverse engagement and it can break the rear band where it anchores...

I cant figure out how to post video from my phone. But i air check low band . perfect. Air check kick down. Works but can hear aur near cltch housing. And air chexk rear clutch. Applies can hear air. And front clutch applies but weak and can hear air in clutch housings were they fo together...? What. Seal did i miss or possibly tear. Air all in sane general area?

I cant figure out how to post video from my phone. But i air check low band . perfect. Air check kick down. Works but can hear aur near cltch housing. And air chexk rear clutch. Applies can hear air. And front clutch applies but weak and can hear air in clutch housings were they fo together...? What. Seal did i miss or possibly tear. Air all in sane general area?

That's the problem with the internet because there is always air getting around things fluid won't near as easily.
Hearing air leak is normal (to a point) and it all comes from the center front of the trans under the drums.
For the drums it leaks air around the pump stator, and the same for the kickdown band but not as much.
The rear servo is usually real quiet since it's a rubber seal.

Are you hearing a THUNK when you apply air to the drums?
If so it's probably ok.

Man.you know you mopars..
Can you answer the tf2. Shuft kit questions? On my 73 a904 the separator plate. Has no hole R. BUT I WILL HAVING BE A HOT ROD AND A STALL CONVERTER. Staets to drill. If doing so. But on page 4 states dril lube hole. And install white spring. And 3/8 ball. But states 68-76 has bypass ball and sprinf DO STEP 1. ???? Are talking page 1? Step 1 drillinh seperator plate? Then i need to relocate ball to, oter area of channek casting. See pics

1481507840665-381311550.jpg

1481507904107-1160255537.jpg

14815079305451164723692.jpg

1481507965388-2084502242.jpg

14815080206611637158425.jpg

14815080812041650721738.jpg

Also cant find where in the book this stock blue spring came from when disassembling. I know was neat the pressure regulator valve/manual spool valve area.?

14815083258325063636.jpg

I f
D
That's the problem with the internet because there is always air getting around things fluid won't near as easily.
Hearing air leak is normal (to a point) and it all comes from the center front of the trans under the drums.
For the drums it leaks air around the pump stator, and the same for the kickdown band but not as much.
The rear servo is usually real quiet since it's a rubber seal.

Are you hearing a THUNK when you apply air to the drums?
If so it's probably ok.

I do hear a thud. But much less than the air bypassing. i hear. And teying to spin outpuy shaft apears to work. Just whish in had a standard to fo by. Nothing like the modern. 6t70e or 6l80e transmissions. They thunk hard. When applied. Just never done a Chrysler before. New to me.

I do hear a thud. But much less than the air bypassing. i hear. And teying to spin outpuy shaft apears to work. Just whish in had a standard to fo by. Nothing like the modern. 6t70e or 6l80e transmissions. They thunk hard. When applied. Just never done a Chrysler before. New to me.

Guess you are just going to have to find out, but maybe you can find a video with sound so you have a reference.

-
Back