AAR burns up !!

-
Not long ago, a good friend and I took his hot rod out for a shake down run after a new cam install. The carbs had a problem that we were heading back to fix, but we stopped to get something to drink to take back to the shop. The car back fired through the carbs and started a fire under the "oil" treated K&N filters. We jumped out, threw open the hood, shed our t-shirts and put the fire out. He had an extinguisher in the car, but neither of us even thought to grab it. Out wives wondered why neither of us had shirts on when we got gack to the shop. We told them we went to the boobie bar and lost our shirts. Luckily they both know us old farts better than that. LOL...

I dont know if anyone else noticed but it looks like a fire extinguisher was used. Looks like white powder on the windshield, roof and deck lid. What do you think?

Sure looks like white powder to me. Maybe it would have been a lot worse if he didn't use the extinguisher.

Tough to guess as to what happened.

But we could use it as a warning and awareness on ways to prevent engine fires. You no, do's and don'ts.

Its my understanding that all the old holley 2300s are known to cause fires they changed something when mopar offered the replacements! If your running oem carbs it will catch on fire sooner or later change your carbs guys allthat time and money its not worth the 1500 bucks to not have the new carbs.

With Autoxcuda's observations I realized that I have a rubber line up from my fuel pump to the carb. Never really thought about it as I have on many of my other cars as well but I think I will change it out for a steel line this spring before I start out. Sometimes when bad things happen to others it helps those prevent it from happening to them.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 197
i have not much rubber hose on my car
alum fuel line
and no cheap *** plastic or glass fuel filter

Attachments

• Picture 050.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Picture 052.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture 053.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 198
That sucks, good thing mine is steel and braided line.

I've always been told to keep a fire extinguisher in these old cars not just because of the fuel lines but the old wiring we all trust everytime we hook up the battery and fire them up.. So I got one and I keep it in the car.. What's $30 to $40.00 bucks to save possibly thousands... Things that make you go hmmmmmm.......

That cuda could be fixed easily. Aprons and whole front clip would have to be replaced along with going through the motor and total electrical. Sad to see such a nice car wrecked. If it was cheap enough I'd be all over that. As long as the cowl and firewall wasn't too buckled because of the heat it would be a cool project. I'm sure they totaled it which is a damn shame.

looks like maybe the fuel line to the center carb came off. Maybe he kept cranking it with the fuel pumping on to the engine and......poof

that sucks!

i know someone who bought a real 67 shelby GT500 after it suffered the same fate. it's still waiting to be restored.

looks like maybe the fuel line to the center carb came off. Maybe he kept cranking it with the fuel pumping on to the engine and......poof
Thats a bowl vent hose, the fuel line is metal, and still screwed to the carb

Thats a bowl vent hose, the fuel line is metal, and still screwed to the carb

on some 6 pac depending on where they were sold had the center carb bowl vented to the atmosphere ....that is how mine are...and yes..the fuel lines are steel..and shown in picture.

-
Back