AAR Hood - 72 Duster

-

Old Country

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm new to this, so I take a shot at adding my opinion on my new AAR fiberglass hood. I'm rebuilding or finishing the build of a sweet 72 Duster 'H' code 4 spd rig. Has a new 408 Stroker, Eddy Heads, Cam-Motion solid cam... with aaaall sorts of other goodies including a six-pack with the old Direct Connection (Ford style) mechanical carbs (not vacuum secondaries). "I KNOW" a 4 bbl with an airgap would probably be a better setup, but the six-pack is, well a Six-Pack, got have it, thus why the new hood with the appropriate scoop.

This site tells no lies apparently, as AAR was the most recommended manutacturer, which is why I went that way and I'm sure glad I did (Thanks!). I purchased the six-pack scoop style 'bolt-on' hood, and it's really well built, nicely finished...pretty impressive. Total cost to my door was $625, which included $45 charge for the shipping box. A buddy is a trucker so shipping was...FREE !!...:cheers:....but it trashed the box. The box spent 10 days strapped to a low-boy open trailer un-covered... in the rain, snow, road splash, oily grime...etc.. clear from Florida to Vancouver Washington.... looong ways. The box was toast, soaked, covered with wet, sandy gravel road grime and was on the verge of falling apart, but "my precious hood was just fine". Inside I found my brand new and expensive hood was dripping wet, filthy, plus sand had gotten in there with it, apparently blasted thru the box hand-holds. This was hugely wrong and NO I was not happy, but what can a guy say to free shipping...DOH! Thanks to the way AAR packages their hoods by bracing all four corners (large bags with some of that expanding foam stuff) the hood could not move and those fragile & critical corners were just fine. With the exception of one small scratch on the scoop from a piece of gravel, the hood was untouched.

Evaluation: The top is covered in a shiney white primer coat, scoop opennings pre-cut. The underside is flat back, with the texture of the glass-matt visible, but smooth to the touch. The under-support structure is strong, very solid, well attached and not painted. This contains the metal parts for the hinges and the hood latch. The only flaw in the hood that I see must have happened during the molding process..ie: A pinky fingernail size air pocket right on the front lip about 12" in from the left side, maybe .150" deep. They primered right over it like it was suppose to be there...go figure...:dontknow:. This will easily be corrected with a lil dab of body filler and sanded level & smooth before roughing, re-priming and painting...or whatever ya do (I'm not a body guy).

The hood is VASTLY lighter than the metal hood, even though it's very well build. I now see why the hood hinge springs need changing, as the stock ones would probably crack this in no time trying to shut it. I guess I'll plug both AAR and the springs too (Thx Dennis!), that's ok, right? The old springs were "at least" double the width of the new lighter ones. I have already changed to the low tension hood springs for a bolt-on style fiberglass hood. They fit '67 - '76 A-body cars and cost $50, which includes shipping to anywhere in the USA. I think he's still a member here and goes by "Atomic Dog",...I think, ha... Anyway, they're good springs, and got to me in TWO days from Virginia. If interested, contact him via E-mail at [email protected]

Well ok, there's my first post here, sorry I took so much space. Not sure if there'll be more posts, but hope this one helps all who wonder about these AAR hoods and those Happy Springs.
Your's truly, Old Country ~ :wave:

Attachments

• DUSTER!!! 005.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 989
  • DUSTER!!! 001.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 764
Thanks, Old Country. We need more product reviews like this to help us all out. Everyone needs to know about premium parts like those from AAR, and sub-premium parts so we can all make educated purchases and get the most bang from our hard-earned bucks.
Great looking Duster! Gotta show more pics.

Yes thanks,
I ordered a new hood, fenders, lower valance and bumpers from them for my 72 demon, so i'm hoping there as good as everyone has said. Was a little bit of a pain for shiping since i live in canada (had to line up a broker) cause there were shiped by truck and not courior which wasn't really that big of a deal...

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the AAR quality i know i'am..

Attachments

• DSCF0206.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2,015
Hey the posting worked! Nice feedback one & all, and comments about my project Duster. Stroked 340's orange Duster is dang sweet, nice hood too, ha...

Hey Country, welcome to the site. I'm up in your neck of the woods, Battle Ground to be exact. Beautiful little Duster you have there. I'm working on a '74 and will eventually get an AAR six pack hood when the body work phase gets here. Seen a lot of junk fiberglass on the market but have always been impressed with AAR's products. Glad to hear their still keeping the quality up. Post some more pics of that car!!!!

Hey a local! Battle Ground...? well I'll be. We'll have to tie-up some time, compare notes, share connections.:cheers:

Requests for more pics is quite a compliment in this crowd, I'm flattered. I don't have any good ones, but here's what I have on hand, besides the ones above. These pictures don't show the true color (Viper metalic blue), which is pretty sweet! Mayeb when I get a digital camera things will be easier (this weekend!).

Little history:
I purchased the Duster from a nice guy who'd basically sank a barrel of $$ into it, but was works oil-rigs and is constantly on the road, thus it simply sat, seldom driven. I will spare the details but suffice it to say it had/has a LOT of very nice new internal/external equipment. The engine was a nice 408 Stroker , 10.1 comp, Eagle forged crank, rods..etc, topped with a six-pack set-up. I noticed the air cleaner top was 'wrong' (aftermarket flat warped plastic job'r), but it did provide juuuust enough clearance to close the stock hood (see pic). The lid has since been replaced with the proper one, which was the impetus for the AAR hood ala no clearance at all, ha.. but I digress...

The engine & drive train had only 1600 miles after 2+ years. The puppy pulled really hard during the tests, and the one time it saw the track pull a low 12, but form follows function, and it needed a lot of detail, fine tuning...massaging. Even with the lumpy Comp cam could tell things weren't sounding exactly right in there. Shortly after these pictures were taken (Mar/2010), I decided to pull the engine. It had one of those 8 qt Moroso race pans (ugh!) which it didn't need, and I wanted to strip/clean-up/paint/detail the engine compartment anyway. Start with a clean palette and paint a MUCH prettier picture, ya know? So the hood came off, engine & trani were out, bumper off, both fenders off, grill off, wiring out...etc.. The intake was painted, so I pulled it to strip it and THAT's when I found one of the cam lobes was badly wiped...ie: the lobe was missing approx .270" and the lifter was missing .148"... DOH... So where all that metal go?! Flipped the engine, pulled a main cap....UGH!:sad11:.. anyway. Now months later: New/better cam, cam & main bearings, Eddy heads ported (better), stronger springs, pushrods, Kevco pan...etc..etc.. Anyway... the project is stalling abit, and will in-work for the winter. Once I get it all put back together, broken-in, dynoed.. I'll post proper pics.

Thanks much for the welcome. I'm nearly 52, and quite new to this forum thing, so if I break some rule or bylaw or whatever, please forgive & provide guidance.
Old Country :wave:

Attachments

• DUSTER!!! 002.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 584
  • DUSTER!!! 003.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 561
  • DUSTER!!! 004.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 566
  • DUSTER!!!.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 574
Hello again Country,
Been away from the computer the last few days and missed your update. Car looks very nice, love the blue and white color scheme. Nice, clean and simple is the way I like 'em and yours is sweet. I've always been a sucker for a six pack especially in an A Body. Your engine problems mirror my friend's woes with his spankin new Indy 416. We picked up the short block from Indy at the "Mopar's at the Strip" in Vegas 4 years ago, then their CNC ported Alum. heads 2 years ago and put it all together. Had it running for a month or so and the oil pressure started getting weak. Eventually he decided to take it out and have it looked at by an engine builder. Wiped cam and many other problems which were not caused by the cam going. Not going to bash Indy but I will never buy from them. Nough said. He should have it back together before Christmas and back in the car (72 Demon) this winter. He's up in Tacoma with my other buddy who has a 70 Duster turning 10 teens right now. He'll be puttin the nitros to it this year and were hoping to trailer it down to Vegas this spring to run at the "Strip" again. I'm deep into a 4 link install ala Louis's thread "67 Dart Build Triangulated 4 link & Mini Tub" on my 74. If I got off my arse I'd be done with it by now. I'm also 52 but act like I'm 19 most of the time. Drop me a PM if you would be interested in gettin together some time. I'd love to see your ride in person. Ron.

Welcome Old country, a thought though, the six pack hood has a divider spoke in the center of the scoop opening which on my AAR hood was quite thin. I mixed up a batch of A+B Epoxy and spread it on the inside of the spoke to make it a lot thicker hence stronger and nice Duster by the way, you can stay.8)

Attachments

• Copy of P7280002.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 512
Decided to take a peek at the page and there's still activity with my post, how cool !

Hey local-brother raypom65:
Your story of the Indy 416 brings shivers! I for-one don't have the time or money for anything to go sideways with this engine (re)build of mine... so I've been extra-anal. I'll also be losing my job in the next few months, SO that makes this even more critical. Tom's Performance out here in Orchards has been very insightful/helpful during my build. The engine has been assembled and sleeping on the stand for over a month now waiting until I'm finished with the engine compartment (paint/wires...etc). The deeper I go...geez... now I'm looking at pulling the steering column (bearings feel GONE). I've decided to take the engine to Tom's for break-in & dyno tuning in his mule-car. At least that'll be one item off my list and ready to just drop-in...whew. Anyway... yes indeed, we should tie-up some time, I just need to figure out where you've hidden a phone number in the site, ha, ha....

Demon Seed: Thx VERY much for the insight on the center spoke of the scoop. I'll follow your advice, and re-inforce it. Nice look'n ride you have there too!

Gotta run. Thx all.
Old Country :wave:

The cam failures ARE NOT THE MANUFACTURES FAULT. They have removed the zink from oil and engine builders are seeing failures every where. I went through 2 Mopar Purple cams within the first 1000 miles and then installed a Crane Blazer cam I had since the early 80's and wiped that one out also. You must run cam break in lube on tappet style cams. OR GO ROLLER AND ELIMINATE CAM FAILURES. I know, I can't afford them either, but they do make more power.

Jo D. we were fully aware of the zinc problem with the newer oil formulations and running flat tappet cams. Per Indy's cam recommendation and specs we selected a solid lifter flat tappet cam and used only one of the dual valve springs the heads came with for break in. We also filled the engine with Shell Rotella (high zinc diesel oil) and I think the owner even added some additional zinc additive for break in. It was after he had driven it a hundred or so miles that he noticed the oil pressure was dropping excessively once the oil warmed up. He parked the car while he saved cash and considered what to do. After discussions with a local Mopar drag racer and well known area engine builder he pulled the motor and sent it to him for tear down. Besides the cam damage they found a LOT wrong with the motor. This short block was purchased from the Indy booth at the "Mopars at the Strip" and was bagged/stored until we got the heads a couple of years later, also at the Indy booth, CNC'd 360-2s. None of the problems found were the result of our assembly but from the machining and assembly of the short block, by Indy. This isn't ment to be a Indy bash it just sad that so much $ gets flushed down the toilet on this stuff. It isn't like were all sleeping on a mattresses stuffed full of cash. My friend will probably have another 2.5K to 3.5K in parts, labor and new roller cam setup to get his car running again. That's alot of money for 100 miles of fun.

I was not happy with the AAR hood. It was not as flat as they mentioned. On both sides of the hood, about 2" in from the firewall side and 6"x6" wide were low spots. When block sanding, we almost went threw the gel coat and it still had a low spot.

-
Back