AArrgghh, Failing at getting turn signal harness up steering column...

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
I have had no luck getting the harness started down the column. The coat hanger is to big when I try to tape the harness ends to it. It makes to thick a bundle. Any suggestions fellow Mopar Freaks?

When I replaced mine, I borrowed a special tool that releases the wires from the bulky plastic connector. I just drew a sketch of how the wires went back in, and with the special tool, released each wire from the connector. Once all of the wires were fed back down, I put them back in their spot in the connector.

Sorry, I don't know what the tool is called, I borrowed it from a buddy at work. But you slide it over each wire, and it releases the tab that holds the wire into the connector. Hope this helps.

I used a small flat blade screwdriver-- ground down to fit the harness connector. each wire terminal has a small tab that holds it in the harness-- depress it & the wire slides out. use a small flash light to assist in the visual.

make sure you know where the wires re-mount so your harness will work.
Lawrence

Some connectors are long and flat so they slide down the column fairly easy. Others are just too big to cooperate. Once you figure out the tang on the terminal that holds it in the plastic connector you will figure out a tool to release them. Might be a paper clip wire, sewing needle, other.
I once had a connector on something that terminal with 2 tangs on opposite sides. like \ll/ I used tin snips to cut a section of the rolled rim from the lid of a metal box. This yielded a hard thin wall tubing to slide over the terminal collapsing both tangs at once.
Just yesterday my grandson was watching me rebuild a Walbro carb from my riding mowers engine. I told him the know now comes from buying the books and reading.
The only fault with these factory service manuals is when they state "Use special tool #3723562426384 to remove whatnot". Improv' requires imagination.
Someone smarter than me once said "Necessity is the mother of invention".
Good luck

I've got the connector off, it's fishing the harness down the column that's stopping me. The loose ends with the terminals won' fit down the column when taped to the coat hanger brought up from the bottom... If I taped them side by side flat they would be to wide to fit the small opening. Can I take the column loose and the whole tunnel that they feed down?

-
Back