About as bad a day as it can get.

-
After reading some of the warnings I began to fear for your safety. - Glad to hear you made it home OK.
:thumbsup:

I'm also happy you got back safe, how mashed down was that block after the drive?
About an inch. Worst drive down the highway I've ever had; all over the road. But I made it back and the car will be sitting in the yard until I get the parts to fix it.

Glad you made it back safely.

Even though things have been rough, at least they have been interesting! Makes for a nice story when all is said and done.

Glad you made it back safely.

Even though things have been rough, at least they have been interesting! Makes for a nice story when all is said and done.
Yeah it does. Calling around trying to find another bar, everybody has said they've never heard of one breaking. I guess it's a rare thing to happen. I had also sent out an email to OldTown and they apologized for what happened and said that is not how they feel. My guess is the guy next to me didn't want my car next to his so he complained to a security guard that probably didn't know any better. But I don't know, I don't care. In the end I did end up having a good time.

Well, it took some time but I found a set of torsion bars in Sarasota for $60. It took longer than expected to put it in because I couldn't get the 2x4 out. I ended up having to remove the entire assembly to get it, but that pushed me to replace the original shocks and put new tie rod ends in it. I also found that both front tires were showing cords, so it now has four new tires. The surging and not able to go fast issue I knew was fuel starvation, but with a new pump and filter, I figured the pickup in the tank might be clogged. I crawled under the car, and the hose at the tank had collapsed. Replaced the probably 40 year old hose, and it runs great; well, as great as a 5.5 cylinder engine can run. Next will be pulling the tired old slant six and putting in another one so I can drive the car while rebuilding the original engine.

Really GLAD you got home safely! That car show site should be sent a link to this thread to show what their lack of hospitality could have caused. What an exclusive, snobbish bunch. It's better you learned it up front so you can stay away from people like that.

Also, you may want to check everything on that side for bends and the like. Since that wood block was solid, it may have bent something. Control arm......anything. Also, get that front end aligned!

Awesome job man! You got home safe and sound in the face of total adversity and after encountering some totally adverse people.

Really GLAD you got home safely! That car show site should be sent a link to this thread to show what their lack of hospitality could have caused. What an exclusive, snobbish bunch. It's better you learned it up front so you can stay away from people like that.

Also, you may want to check everything on that side for bends and the like. Since that wood block was solid, it may have bent something. Control arm......anything. Also, get that front end aligned!

Awesome job man! You got home safe and sound in the face of total adversity and after encountering some totally adverse people.
I let them know and they people that run the show did apologize and have said I am welcome to come back. Not sure if I will, don't really care. What happened was the weight of the car and driving it pushed the block into the bracket that holds the bump stop and it deformed around the lower control arm. It was just really wedged in there, no damage. The car is going in for alignment this week if I can find someone. I've called five different places in town and nobody wants to touch it; they all say it's too old for their computer run alignment rack. The tow is fine, it's just the camber that's the problem. I was talking to a friend this evening and he told me of where he's taken all of his classics, so I'll be calling them tomorrow. Next project is gonna have to be the wipers since they stopped working on that trip; the pivots are so stiff that the wiper arms no longer move, but that's another day.

That's total garbage. I could line the thing up in 20 minutes if all the parts are good. You can do it yourself, except getting the caster right and that's important on these old cars. Keep lookin. You'll find a place.

-
Back