accel distributor problems???wtf....?

-

dust-u

Reaction score
i purchased a replacement dist. for my 340 (accel 59301)...the first one was a used unit and I could not get the car to run at all with it...this is my second unit now and it is new...plug wires are new and have the proper orientation..brought # 1 up to tdc and set the base timing for it to fire.. no go...strangely enough....like the first unit..I put the "old" dist back in and she fires right up..???I did previously have an alt issue and had a wire improperly hooked up and may have back fed my chrome box..the car always ran but had a miss due to the needle bouncing .although it didnt seem to be an issue with the old dist..is it possible I may have damaged my box???I thought the accel units were plug and play...i have plugged...but no play??? what am I missing???? Oh..I did pull the coil wire off when cranking the motor...no spark...? But when I turned off my ground(battery cut off@neg term) I saw a spark at the coil wire...what am I missing here?I dont believe i could have gotten two bad units???accel has always been some pretty good stuff?? I really need some help????:angry7:

I am also running an accel dist and chrome box with no issues. I will take some pics of my wire routing if that will help.

did you plug/play with the dist?sure on the wiring..i am using the orig 5 pin ...I am currently stumped??thanx for the help...

Hope these help. I just used the factory wiring. Sorry about the black engine bay. LOL

dist.jpg

dist2.jpg

dist3.jpg

pics are great...my wiring is correct...maybe my coil is weak???? i run a sixpak and already cooked one...maybe i need to move the loc of my coil...just cant understand what is going on here....hope someone else has something or has had the same issue???

2 bad units would be odd. But weirder things have happened to me.
Try and see if the distributor is 180* out.
Coil location is fine. A heat sheild wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you'll need it.

i did double ck the dist..it is properly set..not even a sputter ..pull the dist...connect the wiring....spin the shaft..and there is spark...re-install the dist..crank the car....no spark...do the same with the old dist...car runs...still scratchin my head..????the spark i did get was not awfully strong...does anyone think my alt issue may have claimed my box????

-
Back