Actor Charles Durning, RIP.

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Character actor Charles Durning died last night. If you don't know his name, you'll recognize his face. He played tough old guys, politicians and other slime very well and could play a loving fatherly type to boot. I would not usually post about a dead actor, but this guy was a U.S.Army HERO. Silver star, Bronze Star and 3 Purple hearts. Omaha Beach D-Day survivor (only one in his unit), Battle of the Bulge, POW massacre survivor. Killed a kraut with a rock after being bayoneted by him!! This guy was hard core! Thanks for the memorable performances and your service to our country. May you rest in peace.
durning1.jpg

I always liked him as an actor, and never knew about his military past. RIP soldier. Your battle is over.

Its too bad you dont really hear about a lot of true heros and their stories until after they have passed on, Charles Durning is a prime example. RIP sir.

I will miss this guy and his talents. If anyone remembers, he played in the movie "The Sting", one of my favorites. But one of his best recent roles was on NCIS where he played a "War Hero". Not enough time here to give all the details, but it sure brought tears to my eyes. In one scene he was being somewhat harassed by a woman officer, that is until he spread his coat apart to expose his Medal of Honor, and in due respect the officer immediately had to come to attention and salute him......Priceless! If you can find this episode it is really worth watching.

He was a great actor and never quit working until the very end!! Hey, Jack Klugman died on the same day. RIP Oscar Madison!!

I liked him as Tommy Gavin's dad in Rescue Me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9073MYRoqU"]Tommy Gavin talks to his dad on the phone - YouTube[/ame]

I always liked him as an actor, and never knew about his military past. RIP soldier. Your battle is over.

I Remember his roles in "Greatest Little Whorehouse in Texas" ,...Didn't know about his military background,...Hats off to him,...Another Hero from "The Greatest Generation"...

Lest we Forget...

I Remember his roles in "Greatest Little Whorehouse in Texas" ,...Didn't know about his military background,...Hats off to him,...Another Hero from "The Greatest Generation"...

Lest we Forget...

Singing "The Sidestep." Great piece of the movie.

My parents got Sarah hooked on this movie. I think this was her favorite part in it. After she'd watch it she'd go around for hours singing it.

I heard him interviewed on Fox News some years ago about his WWII experience. His story about D-Day was all to real. RIP.

I will miss this guy and his talents. If anyone remembers, he played in the movie "The Sting", one of my favorites. But one of his best recent roles was on NCIS where he played a "War Hero". Not enough time here to give all the details, but it sure brought tears to my eyes. In one scene he was being somewhat harassed by a woman officer, that is until he spread his coat apart to expose his Medal of Honor, and in due respect the officer immediately had to come to attention and salute him......Priceless! If you can find this episode it is really worth watching.

That is absolutely one of my favorite NCIS episodes if not the best. Yes, tears came to me too. He was one of the greatest character actors in the world. Loved him in 'Sharky's Machine" with Burt Reynolds not to mention 'The Final Countown' with Martin Sheen. Will miss him. RIP

Lost Jack Klugman the same day..all the good ones are leaving!!..RIP gentlemen!!

-
Back