Added oil pressure gauge no idiot light doesn’t work.

-

Joshua Suehs

Reaction score
anyone run into this? I added an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and installed with a 1 1/2” brass pipe and a T fitting as the instructions suggested and that way I can still use my stock Idiot light. Installed everything, started it and no leaks! But noticed the idiot light didn’t turn on with Key on/engine off. Checked the wire and connections and all is good. Unsure what would cause it. Could it possibly be Teflon tape causing it to not ground. Never had that happen but maybe it could? Headed to a Christmas party so had to stop but wanted to hear your opinions. I also was wondering what your oil pressures run. I have a 360 that the guy had built at a race shop. Cold idle around 90 and warm around 75psi. Assuming they added an hi-po pump. Let me know what your thoughts are.

64E419BB-4485-4282-A854-501766236232.jpeg

091C2FCC-FC60-4374-8B3D-C34FC56F91FE.jpeg

Easy enough to isolate. Unhook lead for light from switch and ground it. Light should come on. If that works connect to switch and provide a jumper ground to switch and see if light comes on. Could also ohm out switch installed with ohm meter and check to ground. Could be a bad switch.

You may have overtightened the switch and damaged it. Easy to check....as above

With key in "run" and engine stopped, ground the wire, warning lamp should light. Check from the center button of switch to ground with continuity checker/ ohmeter, should be a dead short with engine stopped

Dubob, I’ll check the switch tonight when I get back. Hopefully that’s the issue and I can get it fixed for little. I assumed something got botched in working on it.

Jabaharabi, I couldn’t tell you yet. It’s december and I’m in WI. Just added the pressure gauge and am trying to base everything off of idle readings. Probably a proactive ask on the pressures but will know more after the thaw!

By the pictures you have an electronic gauge . I don't trust them any more than I trust the idiot light . To be accurate you need a mechanical gauge . I use a direct reading oil pressure gauge to verify pressure along with idiot light . oil filled direct reading pressure gauges are available from Speedway and others

Its probably the teflon tape preventing a good ground. I use the paste in automotive applications, it seems to allow for a better ground path.

Well I finally got back to check it out. Checked all connections and made sure all the connections were good and found no issues on the sensor or any of the grounding on the pipes. Checked the bulb since I installed it new when I pulled the dash last and saw the light flicker when I went to pull it. That’s right... the connection on the twist connected was gummed up. Cleaned up and re tightened... all better. Of course that is after I tested everything else. Thanks for all the updates and help!

Well you found it. That’s all that matters. These cars are 50 years old so there’s a lot of things to keep up with and learn.

-
Back