ADDING A 4BBL..HELP Please !!!

-

superdart426

Banned
Reaction score
putting a 4 bll intake and carb on my 225 slanty with an automatic trans..what do i need in the way of throttle linkage and kickdown linkage?? and i heard i need a 67 and up pedal assy for a v8 a body,,,any help appreciated and pics and part#'s a plus..thanks ..sd426

You will need kick down cable several available such as Lokar universal type or Mopar factory type this one which I currently have that bolts right up: http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp shop around.
Additional items:
Carburetor throttle lever adapter for Chrysler such as: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Air-Fuel-Delivery/Section/Carburetors-Accessories/Part-Type/Throttle-Lever-Adapters/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

A manifold to carburetor adapter plate.

Some sort of throttle & kick-down cable mounting bracket and return spring to secure cables to engine & carburetor.

Perhaps some plumbing alterations to adapt fuel line to new carburetor.

Don’t expect to get any appreciable performance gain by tossing on a 4V carburetor on to a stock engine. Chances are good that a 4V will cause drivability problems on that stock engine.

In order to get performance improvement you will need to modify the stock engine and exhaust. The more changes one makes to improve engine’s ability to breathe the more performance can be extracted from a slant.

Changes such as increased compression, oversized valves, enlarged exhaust system, non-stock cam shaft, distributor advance re-curve are needed, and drivetrain alterations should be assessed such as rear gear, and converter stall. Any changes must be well thought out to work in harmony with each other or the result will be a pig in a poke, and a ton of wasted money.

If you want best bang for the buck shoot for a Super Six factory setup, basically a two barrel carburetor, and enlarged exhaust. This will perk up a stock engine, with easy bolt on parts.

I have the gas pedal assembly with cable as I was going to do the same with my 63 valiant. Pm me for price if you want it.

I forget bob if your car has the same style throttle linkage as mine but if it does you may be able to run your carb "sideways" and not have to change the kickdown I have seen other people do that on darts like mine. You might as well put the headers on it when you do the swap if you still have them.

Putting a 4bbl on it is a surefire way to get less driveability, less enjoyment, and more hassle. For what you would be gaining it is a lot of work. As far as the pedal is concerned I have considered swapping to the pedal setup out of a 1964-1966 c-body. They used a cable style floor mounted gas pedal. It is wider and taller than A-body stuff, but should fit in there and look like it belongs there. If you get the c-body pedal make sure to get the bracket that goes with it. I may have lost the bracket for my set and probably never will install it anyways.

A 4bbl shouldnt affect driveabillity any at all or it may even improve because I know you are running a 1920 and I couldnt get my car to run worth a crap with that carb on it. As long as you keep the carb size small and jet it properly I don't think you will have any problems.

a 4 barrel carburator will be fine as long as its no bigger then 500 CFM, also its a good Idea to put a larger exhaust system on so it can get rid of the extra air it takes in

A 4bbl shouldnt affect driveabillity any at all or it may even improve because I know you are running a 1920 and I couldnt get my car to run worth a crap with that carb on it. As long as you keep the carb size small and jet it properly I don't think you will have any problems.

Just because you couldn't get a 1920 to run good doesn't mean it is a bad choice for a slant. They made a few million slants with the 1920 and I am willing to bet they all ran pretty good when they left the dealership. Even with a 390cfm carb it will be overcarbed if everything else is left stock. The slant intake does have fuel distrubtions issue which are not going to fixed with a bigger carb. I would like to know what the intentions of the original poster are. They are many many cars that have had parts hung on them for no better reason than peer pressure. In my book more horsepower is always behind chassis/safety improvements in terms of importance.

I’m not even sure a stock slant six can move enough air to open the secondaries on a Holley 390 beyond a crack with the lightest of springs.

I am just saying a 390 and headers will run better and should get better mileage than a 1bbl and stock exhaust. When I do the calculations for a 225 CI engine at say 5000 rpm they will use effectively about 275/6 cfm so it would be over carbed by about 115 cfm which isnt enough to make that big of a deal.

I ran a 72 A-body gas peddle and throttle cable,for trans I used a Lokar kickdown cable and bracket.Good luck.

my stock carb runs like crap and needs a rebuild,,,going to put my 390 holley and intake and headers on ...so she will run good,,,i have talked with STROKERSCAMP IF YOU GUYS KNOW HIM and the driveability won't be a problem..THANKS 64drtgt for having my back..I JUST NEED PARTS AND PART #'S IF YOU GUYS HAVE THOSE..THANKS

-
Back