Adding a console to a ‘71 Duster

-

Hiduster

Reaction score
I’m adding a console to a ‘71 Duster 340. I bought the car with the previous owner switching the steering column and installing the shifter on the floor. A stock console came with the car. I need to know how to find the placement of the console mounting brackets. Are they welded or bolted on to the trans tunnel? Is the trans tunnel marked for the placement of these mounting brackets? I haven’t removed the carpet yet to check. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

The brackets were welded. Do a search on here, someone has posted specs/dimensions. I believe the brackets are available repop. Good luck.

I used 3M panel bond to glue the brackets to the tunnel that way if your off you can heat them up and redo them if need be. There are measurements here on the forum which is what I used and no problems so far

There is a 4" round protrusion on the drivers side floor pan where the rod for the shift pivot screws to the floor with the same size boot. That locates where the console needs to be. There are three brackets that weld to the floor. I cut out the hole and attached the shifter pivot and boot then placed the shifter assembly with it's bracket to determine where it sat then welded the bracket to the floor. The other two a self-evident after you find where hte shifter bracket needs to be by the screw holes in the console...

That's not rust on the floors, it's contact adhesive from the carpet being glued in. Please, don't ever do that. Molded carpet fits nicely without glue.

My shifter is a 1970 slapstick with a '67 knob.
P1012617.JPG

P1012618.JPG

P1012619.JPG

P1012623.JPG

I'll be doing this soon as well, my car has a manual trans tunnel in it, so I don't have the auto shifter for measurement references, does anybody have the measurements to one of the brackets from the 4 speed hole, or off the firewall or floor under the back seat?

-
Back