Adding a sway bar 64 Dart

-

Dart fan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone added a front sway bar to a early Abody ? 64 dart
Seems like fairly easy with upgrades lower control arms . Just not sure about attaching the bar to frame rails ?

I have a factory formula s swaybar
I was told you just have to drill the holes for the factory bolts.

7FDAD599-BD06-41C3-975F-9BA94BD5E85B.jpeg
029202BE-7D7F-44D4-A734-CA244DBF0A4E.jpeg

How to attach to LCA's? Noticed firm feels kit has a kit. Anybody have pictures of this installed?

I had to drill holes into the kframe to mount center brackets. Brackets that mount to lower shock bolt hold sway bar ends.

I had to drill holes into the kframe to mount center brackets. Brackets that mount to lower shock bolt hold sway bar ends.
did this like 45 years ago, so memory is a little fuzzy. IIRC, at the time, the hardest part was finding an angle head drill motor to fit in there to drill the holes in the k-frame. I don't think that's much of an issue, now, with the plethora of tools available today.

I had to add a 1/4" steel plate and a wedge to square up my attachments to the K frame because it is not perpendicular to the frame rails. Bought mine from PST, but I believe it's the same as the Addco bar.
Added a rear sway also and makes a tremendous difference in handling.

Last edited:
I had to add a 1/4" steel plate and a wedge to square up my attachments to the K frame because it is not perpendicular to the frame rails. Bought mine from PST, but I believe it's the same as the Addco bar.
Added a rear sway also and make a tremendous difference in handling.
Thanks everyone for the help . This is such a great way to get help .
Thx !

Has anyone added a front sway bar to a early Abody ? 64 dart
Seems like fairly easy with upgrades lower control arms . Just not sure about attaching the bar to frame rails ?
I adapted a Hotchkis sway bar to a 65 Dart. If I can find the pictures I will post them. Made some brackets for the K frame and mounted right up.

I love my Hellwig bars on my '64 post! Works great with all my other suspension mods too! Worth every penny!

image.jpg

Good read... just ordered the Hellwig bar for the front.... Moved my 14" Rally wheels from my 72 Duster carcass over to the Dart.... Dang, it was a job finding 7/16" left hand acorn lugs....but then here is Summit to the rescue!! Beers ago, I mounted new 340 leaf springs and an 8 3/4" rear end to the Duster, but since she is retired,,.. Im eyeing them to move over to the Dart as well.... New Ignition, wires, plugs, ballast resister, kick panels for 4x6 Rotten Fosberg speakers, all delivered & ready for install.

I used an Addco for about $180. No drilling, all hardware included, just bolt it on. I did twist the mounting tabs that bolt to an existing hole in the frame for a better fit.

-
Back