Adding a vinyl roof on my 71 Demon

-

eschroeder1

A-body Freak
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to add a vinyl roof to my 71 Demon that didn't originally have one. So, it lacks the metal pins that attaches the plastic clips for the mouldings. I have the metal pins that I can attach with my pin spot welder, but what I need is a template so I place the pins correctly. Anyone have any technical advice you can give me.

Eric

I'm going to add a full vinyl top to my 70 Duster and have planned on just drilling small holes and attaching the clips with screws. I have the Mouldings, but need to find drip rail stainless trim made for a vinyl top. I recently learned it is different. It has a green stripe inside of it if it is factory vinyl top drip rail trim.

I'm going to add a full vinyl top to my 70 Duster and have planned on just drilling small holes and attaching the clips with screws. I have the Mouldings, but need to find drip rail stainless trim made for a vinyl top. I recently learned it is different. It has a green stripe inside of it if it is factory vinyl top drip rail trim.
Hm... I havent heard that before. I wonder if anyone has pics that show the difference.

I am doing one right now

100_0037.JPG

100_0038.JPG

100_0039.JPG

I got the vinyl top Chrome it's very expensive
How expensive are we talking? I have the mouldings but are the drip mouldings really different? Can you send me some pics so I can compare to the drip rail mouldings that I have?

I can get you the measurements front to back. This is only used after placement of the chrome. You put the chrome in place with the small elbow attached. Lay it on the car at the rear and front. It only goes on at one location where it fits the indent at the front of the roof. These new quarters are different then the factory's .

trace a line top and bottom of the trim held in place with tape. Then take it off and put your lines at the measurements front to back needed. Draw lines at the center of the trim and make a large +sign. Take a short socket the same diameter as the stud gun and put it upside down over the center of the +sign and and outline the socket . This is where you place your stud gun Clean the center of the circle down to bare metal for the gun.

The gutter trim for vinyl is told apart from the the non vinyl by the green marker on the rear. The aftermarket is so thin that it can be forced with care to fit the vinyl. Be careful with the after market pieces it dents very easy.

I have see this Green marker reference after removing many many trim pieces over the years. I have use non vinyl on a vinyl car its tough though. The vinyl chrome goes on a non vinyl car easy and is loose if not carefully squeezed.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will have different methods they always do in my case. this is what works for me.

DSCN0381 (2).JPG

DSCN0382.JPG

DSCN0395.JPG

DSCN0396.JPG

100_00291.JPG

100_0030 (2).JPG

100_0039.JPG

100_0037.JPG

100_0101 (2).JPG

Last edited:
-
Back