ADDING SIDE MARKERS TO A '67 BARRACUDA - Locations and wiring

-
If you plan on using 68 side marker lights I can help with the proper location of the rears. I just replaced the lower quarters on my 68 and the replacement panels do not come with any marker light holes all ready cut in them so they can use the same replacement panels for 67-69. I saved the lower panels that I cut off so I could use them as a template for the marker light holes on the new panels, I used a 1 5/16" bi-metal hole saw to blow the holes in the new panels after I drew them out. There is a small notch on the bottom of the marker light hole which I just used the edge of a small fine file to create. The marker lights fit just fine and are in the proper location. I will be more than willing to ship you both sides of my old panels, just pay for the shipping.
Bob

IMG_4120 - Copy.JPG

230.JPG

233.JPG

347.JPG

I wonder if there is any concrete collision statistics as to a benefit from the addition of side marker lights.
Matter of fact, there is rigorous scrutiny, done under President Reagan's order for regulatory agencies to evaluate their regulations with extreme prejudice and axe the ones that weren't cost-effective. TLDR version: they are highly effective (and cost-effective) at reducing the likelihood of your car getting hit.

Effective January 1, 1968, all passenger cars built for sale in the United States were required (etc)

A+ for A56, who put up my kind of detailed and accurate description of the relevant lighting specs and regs.

Why sudden interest in side-on visibility of cars? Here's an image from a 2010 tech talk on the subject by one of America's rockstar vehicle lighting optical engineers, who started his career back in the sealed-beam days and ended it recently in LED times. Note one of the vehicles he used to make his point:

Sidemarker-impetus.jpg

I'm going to add side markers to my 67 Barracuda, for safety/visibility sake.
That's a wise idea. As others have stated, the factory-type '68 markers will look at home. Mount them so they're looking as close to straight-out as possible (not angled up or down).

If I were in your shoes, though, I wouldn't put the '68 markers in. Instead I'd put in the fish-shaped ones shown below. Pointy end pointing to the rear on the front marker, pointy end pointing to the front on the rear marker. Aside from the obvious fish-themed appropriateness for a Baccaruda, these are visible through a much bigger range of horizontal and vertical angles than the '68 lamps. They're a lot easier to install, too.

Whichever type you pick, make the most of your install by wiring up the front ones so they do double-duty as side markers and side turn signal repeaters; tech info here.

SML-fish_amber.jpg

SML-fish_red.jpg

If you plan on using 68 side marker lights I can help with the proper location of the rears. I just replaced the lower quarters on my 68 and the replacement panels do not come with any marker light holes all ready cut in them so they can use the same replacement panels for 67-69. I saved the lower panels that I cut off so I could use them as a template for the marker light holes on the new panels, I used a 1 5/16" bi-metal hole saw to blow the holes in the new panels after I drew them out. There is a small notch on the bottom of the marker light hole which I just used the edge of a small fine file to create. The marker lights fit just fine and are in the proper location. I will be more than willing to ship you both sides of my old panels, just pay for the shipping.
Bob

View attachment 1716181739

View attachment 1716181741

View attachment 1716181742

View attachment 1716181744
Thanks for the offer 68.
But, my panels are just fine, so I'll pass on the body work and painting.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer 68.
But, my panels are just fine, so I'll pass on the body work and painting.
:thumbsup:

I think he meant for you to use them as a pattern to locate the ‘68 side markers, not to replace the whole panel.

That is exactly what my intensions were, to use them as a pattern not as a replacement. You hold them in place, draw the out line and blow the holes in your panels.

-
Back