Adding Speakers to the Duster Package Tray...

-

Amanda

Reaction score
Hello All,
I know that when I was looking at the package tray options for my 76 Plymouth Duster there were package trays with speaker cut outs and package trays without speaker cut outs. My Duster does not have the cut outs but we thought we would just add them and redo the package tray with the intention of adding two 6x9 speakers. Now that I've measured everything out, it looks like the torsion bars for the trunk lid sit right underneath that shelf, how does anyone have room for those 6x9 speakers? Am I missing something?

We have two cars with the speaker cutouts and the torsion bar lifts, so I know the speakers will fit in there.
I even removed some old 6x9's from the 72 Dart when I made the new tray.
Both cars had the factory cutouts in the metal under the tray.

Earlier A body, but on our 63 valiant, we purchased a reproduction package tray with the two speaker “slots”. And are mounting the speakers under the rear deck from the trunk side.

That way the sound comes through the “slots”. But you won’t see the speakers.

We have two cars with the speaker cutouts and the torsion bar lifts, so I know the speakers will fit in there.
Okay, so mine did NOT have factory speakers back there, does that mean there are different torsion bars in the ones that came with factory speakers?

I should also note that this Duster has the fold down rear seat option, as I know the bracing is different....

The difference is the fold down seat. The package tray for the factory fold down seat cars is quite a bit shorter than a factory car with the standard seat. The bracing underneath is different, the trunk torsion bars are the same and in the same place. It would be difficult to put 6x9's in the fold down seat package tray and not have them interfere with something.

Standard seat Duster package tray
DSCN0207.JPG

2ga4BnM.jpg

Fold down seat package tray
6.png

Couple of speaker options...

Fold Down Seat.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

Okay, so mine did NOT have factory speakers back there, does that mean there are different torsion bars in the ones that came with factory speakers?

About different bars I don't know, but obviously being a fold down rear seat car does pose a problem doesn't it?
Personally in that cars case I would seriously consider a speaker box of some sort like 72bluNblu posted, and probably even make a way to mount it down so it doesn't move.
I would be hard pressed to cut panels for speakers.

The best bet is to use 6 X 9 speaker boxes and hold them in place with Velcro.

I have seen people cut speaker holes in the trunk divider on the fold down option. It is only plywood. So replacement is easy. But this does limit the panel in how far it goes down. Then the magnet holds it down

-
Back