Adding windage tray to assembled short block

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have my stock 5.9 Magnum short block rotating assembly (crank, rods and pistons) all put together and torqued to specs and have decided to add a windage tray. Can I install the tray without pulling the whole assembly apart? I'm using the stock bolts on the mains and have bought the Milodon studs to add my windage tray. Can I get away with breaking loose all of the main caps, installing the windage tray studs and torquing everything back to specs?

Thanks!

Not all the main cap bolts. Just 4.

Thinking of doing the same. What are you using?

Not all the main cap bolts. Just 4.

So you think I'll be fine if I just remove the four corresponding bolts and replace with the studs? No need to loosen all of the main bolts and then retorque again in the standard order? Thanks

No. Not if you are replacing the bolts with studs. The mains normally require honing when that's done.
I have done it countelss times using the MP package and bolts including the 360 in my truck while it was still in the truck. But studs load the caps differently and at minimum I'd want to carefully measure the main bearing bores after you torque the caps on those two spots. Plastigage may not not show the distortion so I'd say you're safer to run without it if you're not going to do it right.
Or get the MP pacakge and use that one.

I wouldn't worry with studs. Just get the MP attaching hardware and be did wif all dat.

-
Back