Adjustable rockers

-

moparker

Reaction score
Is there an advantage to running adjustable rockers on hydraulic lifters?

Easier to set & keep preload & adjustability.
Is there an advantage to running adjustable rockers on hydraulic lifters?
Yes adjustability. It depends on your cam specs. Unnecessary with a stock or near stock grind.

It would be interesting to see on a dyno if there is any performance advantage if any.

Yes adjustability. It depends on your cam specs. Unnecessary with a stock or near stock grind.

It would be interesting to see on a dyno if there is any performance advantage if any.
Engine masters played with this a while back. It does make a difference but you're only going to see it on the dyno, it was small. just barely outside of the dyno's margin of error.

With the big solid roller cam going in my 416 bracket motor, I dug up an old set of Isky ductile iron adjustable rockers that are for larger diameter valve springs. I guess I'll find out how well they work, if I can get the thing done.

I have a Lunati vodoo cam. On the bigger side. Running double valve springs. They clack a little. Wondered if adjustables would help.

I have a Lunati vodoo cam. On the bigger side. Running double valve springs. They clack a little. Wondered if adjustables would help.
In that case may be so. Voodoo's are a little noisy anyway from what I understand.

It was quiet til I put the doubles in. It was recomended to do break in with only the singles installed. Its not scary loud. You just hear them.

On the Lunati cam, what did they set the spring pressures at? You may need more spring pressure, but not to the point it beats the valve seats out of it, or tulips the valves.

I thought the reason they were noisey would be because it had a lot of spring pressure already.

It may not have enough seat pressure & the valves are bouncing when they close.

Also depends on the valve job, I have seen different valves installed, and valves sunk so the stem heights are not close to being equal.

That is why I asked what they spring pressures were set at when assembled.

Voodoo and Comp Extreme cams are inherently noisy. As I recall it had to do with the lobe rates.

i also have heard fast closing ramps cause a bit of noise.I had an XE268 and there was some valve train
noise.I found it very irritating but then eventually grew to like it!

the ductile irons are more rigid, can cope with sunken valve variations and can set the recommended preload with a thinner head gasket or decked block/milled heads. Nothing wrong with hydros if your pushrods are gonna be made anyway and your heads are rebuilt so all the valves are the same height.

actually the factory stamped steel setups will do a good job to about 500 lift or so. after that I would consider going to an upgrade.

Ok. Talked to my engine builder. He said adjustables might be the way to go. If anyone has a set layin around let me know.

Does anyone have an idea what length push rod I will need?

Invest in a push rod length checker, they are not that expensive. Once the engine is assembled, & you have the rocker arms, check each lifter & record the measurements. Then order or put a wanted ad from the length push rods you need.

I'll keep a look out for a wanted ad as I have multiple sets of the ball & cup push rods in varying lengths.

-
Back