Adjustable Strut Rods

-
Forgot to ask...by chance does anyone know the true size of the hole in the K-member, where the original bushings would be placed? I need to turn some aluminum spacers, but when I measured my K-member today, it looked like the hole was cut by hand with an O/A torch. LOL.
I came up with around 1.140" or so...but not sure the true dimension. Anyone??

Still got that 65 dart sittin in the back yard if you want. Just a little input if I may,,Research what is out in the market,, see how they are made, price is everything.See what others are charging. Get your product out there so people know your name. A well known builder in the Socal area tried this(about 10 years ago,, same item) before any manufacturers started showcasing their product and sold maybe 10 sets before throwing in the towel.He also was making tubular tierod sleves. Good product just (at the time) no marketing. Hit all the forums as you have this one and I hope you do well. Even though I race very little I have much interest in your posts about roll bars that fit. If it was 10 years ago I would have contacted you and have had my car at your shop.You are on the right page as they say... I commend you for doing this in a sucky economy enviroment.
Again I wish you all the best in your conquests.

Well, here they are. Finished up the first pair today. Let me know what you think. I do believe I can sell these for right around $175 like mentioned before. They are made of 4130 tubing(USA MADE), 4130 teflon lined heim joints, and all grade 8 hardware. TIG welded, and will be shipped as bare steel.(Could powdercoat a group of them, if everyone could agree on a color) I am not sure how one would improve on these, but I am open to any ideas. Thanks in advance!

strutrod5.jpg

strutrod4.jpg

strutrod3.jpg

strutrod2.jpg

How many people are interested in these? Just trying to get an idea how well this "suspension" stuff sells. I plan on tubular control arms(upper and lower), along with other stuff. Wanted to see how well these were perceived.

are you ging to try and make all the parts so they work together. say someone buys the strut rods and later want the A- arms will they work together.

Yes, they would still work. The lower control arms would have some sort of provisions for the strut rods to mount to.

Another point brought up on Moparts...whats everyones opinion on bushings in the K-member? Solid aluminum like other manufacturers or Poly? Bushings will not be taking the vertical loads like the factory design, since the heim joint is in place...so maybe a bushing wouldnt be a bad thing?

I am putting in LCAs from a '73. Is there any difference between the older LCAs and '73 and up? If there is no difference, I am sure interested in a set. How is the ride without the big rubber bushings/grommets that the original struts have?

I am putting in LCAs from a '73. Is there any difference between the older LCAs and '73 and up? If there is no difference, I am sure interested in a set. How is the ride without the big rubber bushings/grommets that the original struts have?

it will be much firmer, you will no longer have a rubber bushing absorbing and giving while driving. you will also get better response out of your steering movement by replacing the rubber bushings with solid or poly bushings or even heim ends. you also no longer have that spongy feel.

Thanks for the response. mopwr is correct...the spongyness will go away, and the ride will become more firm. I would probably explain it "feeling the road better". If you're concerned about too harsh of a ride, I can supply you with poly bushings...better than rubber but not quite as stiff as a solid mount setup.
PM me if interested. I'm curious to see how well these sell.

put heims on both ends, I know this would increase the price, I did a set for my cuda I was building. but I welded all the brakets in place no bolt in. I will try to upload the pics when I get a chance

I think the solid bushings are the way to go. Just out of curiosity have you weighed these yet?
On another point how is the connection at the control arm bolt or not, need more pic's.

Thanks guys. They attach to the lower control arm with a bolt. You can see the threaded adapter welded into the tube...then a bolt goes through the control arm from the back side and threads into the inserts.

Is there some sort of spacer that goes on there, looks like it sticks out to far for just a bolt. Better pic of the final install on the control arm side requested, How about the weight?

Heres a couple pictures..you can see the end of the tube has a threaded insert welded into it. This insert goes up against the "bushing" in the lower control arm, and then the bolt comes in from the back side tightening the strut rod into the lower control arm. Hopefully that makes sense...???

strutrod7.jpg

strutrod6.jpg

OK, in the other pic it was confusing. These are made out of chrome molly right? How about the weight?

Just asking here....but how does the front of the rods where they go through the LCAs "move"? I mean it looks like you have that as a rigid no bushing attachment. That can't work.

The movement comes from the heim joint at the front. The strut rod and lower arm move in unison, since they are bolted together. That make sense? I'll get a weight tonight...sorry about that. Yes they are chromoly construction.

-
Back