Adjusting floats on a Carter 2bbl

-

FoothillTom

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll apologize in advance for what will surely be a parade of initially stupid questions from yours truly. I've never worked on a Mopar before and everything is just different enough to mess with my head.

This 65 cuda is running super-rich. I hear the gas trickling into the bowl after I shut 'er down and I can see that it's flooding. Makes for hard starts and it smells at the tailpipe.

I've taken off the top "lid" and taken this picture. I'm gonna start googling around for "how-tos" on these Carters, but am hoping somebody here can quickly tell me if one of these screws adjusts the floats. Or do I need to bend the tabs? Before I go nuts, I was hoping for an easy answer.

In short, I want to adjust the floats to LOWER the fuel level in the bowl and shut off the valve SOONER.

Thanks berry much.View attachment Carb.jpg

In the immortal words of the late Gilda Radner...

"Never mind".

I realized that one needs to gently bend the little tab that closes the valve. A Holley this is not. She's no longer running rich and I can go back to the hundreds of other problems. :)

Tom

Looks like you figured out the float adjustment method. You should find out what the actual setting is and go by that. What is that blue stuff in the photo? Hopefully not silicone! That stuff will clog up a carb in no time.

"Usually" when you buy a "carb kit" they will show you the specs (measurement) and how to set the float level

Also, this info should be in your service manual. You can download a '66 manual, which I'd bet is same or close, here:

(You'll have to "diddle" the page no's, the "reader" page nu.s don't follow original Mopar page numbers)

Scroll down the thread and look for the '66

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Sweet, thanks for the manual download. That will come in super handy as I get better acquainted with this old ride.

And cudamark, that "blue" was just an anomaly when I changed the pixel dimensions of the original picture to fit on the site. I went back to the original in a panic and there was no blue...somehow the colors got a little wonky during the translation.

Tom

-
Back