Adjusting from drum brakes

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Ok,my Duster has new master cylender, drums,shoes,wheel cylinders on the front and they have been bled,but need to know the correct way to adjust them.I was told to remove the wheels and adjust the star wheel from behind the backing plate until the drum will not turn.Well,I tried this and the car pulls when I brake,but stays straight with regular driving.So I tried turning the star wheel in equal turns on both front drums and it still pulls when I brake.Ive been having this "pulling " problem for awhile now and want to get rid of it.Am I doing something wrong?
And i meant Front,not from on the title,lol

Sounds like your over adjusting them. With the wheels off you want the drums to be able to turn but not alot, just snug them up so if you spin it by hand the drum will turn maybe 3/4 to a full turn on its own if that makes any sense. Take it for a slow drive around the block then readjust if needed.

To start with you need to adjust with wheel on, adjust to the wheel is tight then back off to wheel will turn 1 rotation, They got to be adjusted evenly or they will pull

Whomever told you that was full of rotten ****. Here's the correct way. With the tire and wheel ON, adjust each brake up so there's a slight drag when you roll the wheel. Beat on the tire's sidewall as you rotate it to make sure the shoes seat properly as you adjust them out. Just get them equal as far as the drag amount and you're done.

you may have a drity shoe if it keeps pulling the same way swap shoes side to side and see if it go the other way. i like the slight drag set up. week or bad return spring can cause a pull too. keep us informed pulling brakes arn,t safe.

Well,tried adusting them as good as possible and it still pulls.It wasnt pulling at all after I first put the brakes on,now its pulling?I wonder if I need to bleed them better.

Like suggested by alsdemon, be sure the shoes are very clean. It don't take much grime on them to give ya trouble. If they are dirty, don't forget to clean the drums too. Also, if the shoe is dirty/oily, it will be the opposite side that its pulling.

Whomever told you that was full of rotten ****. Here's the correct way. With the tire and wheel ON, adjust each brake up so there's a slight drag when you roll the wheel. Beat on the tire's sidewall as you rotate it to make sure the shoes seat properly as you adjust them out. Just get them equal as far as the drag amount and you're done.

LMAO
Yep, this is how you do it:-D

yeah,i wonder if they got dirty because it was not pulling at all and then all of a sudden it starts pulling.Ill get a few cans of brake cleaner tomorrow and clean the hell out of them.

There's a few things here:

You may have got dirt grease, etc on a shoe

Recheck that you have the shoes installed correctly (pri and sec on each side) and all hardware correct.

(Normally, the primary shoe with the long lining goes "to front", shoe with short lining "to rear.")

Check the drum diameters. Maybe you got a "new" drum that has been turned out much further than the other side

Is it possible?? that you have a plugged hose/ tube?

Since it sounds as if you adjusted them way too tight, you may have overheated the lining on one side or at least glazed it, and changed the braking characteristics of the lining. Try lightly sanding the shoes. Might better to suck it up and replace the front shoes AGAIN. You might even BS the store into trading them as defective.

Adjustment: The way I always did it was to tighten them up until you could NOT move the wheel AND TIRE (more leverage.) This "seats" the shoes. Then back them off an equal amount of clicks until they just "rub" lightly, usually in one place

guys,i think I found the problem,I really messed up and thank you 67Dart .I studied the brake shoe sizes and guess what?I have the shoes with the long linings on one side and the shoes with the short linings on the other side!:banghead::dontknow:LMAOO!I feel like a bonehead.Ok,Now I will take them apart and put them together like they need to be.Seriously,67Dart,thank you for mentioning that they are different sizes:cheers:::sigh:: Ill go rearrange them and let you know the results.

Well,just got it put together and no more pull !It does have a tiny squeel but I will mess with it tomorrow,damn fall it gets dark to early now.I use to be out there until 8pm .oh well.Thanks everyone,another problem solved!

-
Back