Adjusting front end height

-

chettar

Reaction score
My 1963 Plymouth Valiant has been lowered and I want to put it back to its original height. I have taken off the lowering blocks on the rear end but need help in how to adjust the front end height. Looking at the car from the front, the left side bolt that I think adjusts the height is straight up, while the right side bolt is slanted at a 45 degree angle. Is this the way it should be and please explain how to adjust the height. I welcome a phone call to discuss. Chet [Please use the PM feature to exchange phone numbers]

sounds like the right side adjuster bolt is "Off it's rocker" :D
You can lift the front of the car and back out the crooked one so you can seat it back in the saddle of the torsion bar lever like the straight up and down bolt.

I assume you are asking about these?

Also note that changing those much requires realignment (toe adjustment at the least)
Adjusting the height is by screwing those bolt in or out (screwed in raise, and screwed out lowers.
Take the weight of the car off them first and a shot of WD40 or similar on the the threads before you move them isn't a bad idea.
Shoot the threads both above and below that block that you see the end of in the picture with the wet spot around it.

Attachments

• PHOTO-5.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 419
do you know what stock height setting is and how to measure it? it will also need re aligned

Adjust as TrailBest has said. -- With the Car sitting on a level surface, I measure to the center of the wheel well opening, above the tire, on each side, to be sure that the Car is level, side to side, and where I want it, for appearance. Then raise it up and re-adjust , as needed. This may take a couple times, doing this. -- Then as jdsduster said -- "Get it aligned".

The old Motors repair manuals had where to measure and what the measurements should be. Of course this is for a factory ride height and tire size.

you can really set the hgt where you like the looks and have it aligned

Many Thanks to all who responded to my question on hot to adjust front end height. All your comments have put me on the right track. Thanks for the picture TrailBeast, "a picture is worth a thousand words!" particularly for me!

Many Thanks to all who responded to my question on hot to adjust front end height. All your comments have put me on the right track. Thanks for the picture TrailBeast, "a picture is worth a thousand words!" particularly for me!

Not a problem.
Just remember, any time you change the height the toe needs to be reset because it changes the angle of the tie rods.
Lifting it makes the wheels toe out, and lowering makes them toe in.
If you check into it, this can be done or checked by you with a tape measure.

Hey chettar,

Go here for service manuals. I was just reading the section on adjusting ride height yesterday when I installed my new shocks yesterday afternoon. If you measure from the fender, it may look right but the actual ride height could be off, the tolerances on these cars bodies was never measured in thousandths, more like in 1/16ths. Front end can distort in collisions over 50 years on the road. Measure like recommended in the manual from the knuckle to the ground, and the lower control arm pivot point. If you want your ride to be tits!

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

I didn't see a service manual for a 63 Valiant, but you could probably use the service manual from the 65 Plymouths.

WD-40 is a water dispersant, I'd recommend a penetrating oil like this...

Attachments

• NutsOff.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 206
-
Back