idrift

Reaction score
My steering box is a little too tight. I know to do it as the service manual
states I need to disconnect the pittman arm etc but I'm kind of lazy at
the moment.....

Are there special tools to adjust the large nut where the steering shaft
goes in? Anyone have an easy procedure?

I loosened the adjustment on the top 1/4 turn and it helped some but
I think it's the large adjustment that needs to be backed off some.

With manual steering, you should just need a slotted screwdriver and a box wrench. Loosen the large nut a bit w/ the box wrench first and while holding the nut steady, loosen the top adjusting screw 1/2 turn. Tighten the nut back down while holding the set screw. Road test and adjust again as necessary 1/2 turn or so at a time.

Make sure your front end is greased and suspension components aren't worn. Many times people will tighten the steering box to "try" and compensate for the "loose feel" that worn suspension pieces can cause.

For power steering, you'll need an allen wrench instead of a screwdriver.

Hope this helps.

The service manual talks about proper preload first then adjusting the mesh.
I think I am interested in the preload adjustment which is the large, like
3" diameter threaded part that is where the shaft goes into the box. The mesh
adjustment then uses the slotted stud with a locknut.

All my parts are new, including the gear box which is too tight because I have
to bring the wheel back after turning a corner. I am not sure the mesh alone
will loosen this will it?

In reading further than your suspension is all new, I personally would not touch the steering box until you get 100+ miles or more on the car. You may think the steering box is too tight, but in reality new suspension will give it that "too tight feel".

If there is a problem with the steering box from the manufacturer and you mess with the adjustment it could affect your warranty....maybe? Also, make sure there is fluid in there!! I would call and make sure the gearbox is pre-filled w/ lube or check it yourself.

Giving it some road miles is my opinion before making any adjustment to the box. Make sure everything is greased.........

I did have the box installed for about 200 miles before I did the rest of the
front end. Thats kind of why I think it's the box as it was tight even with
a very worn out front end. The box is filled with grease.....not oil but thats another point.

All the new parts are greased up and ready to go. It's just too tight. The guy
that aligned my front also confirmed it's way too tight.

What do you think? Preload or mesh setting?

I can't help you w/ the preload, sorry. Only the adjustment above. Your issue is hard to diagnose over the net.....Alot of variables involved.

Hmmm, can you call the steering box manufacturer and explain the issue you're having to them? Is this new or a reman/rebuilt steering gear?

Yea, that's my next move. It was a rebuilt unit from Meridian Auto in
California.

I see in the service manual a procedure to adjust the pre-load but I have no
idea what the tools look like. I was hoping someone here has done it in
the past. Maybe I'll scribe some marks and play around with it 10 degrees
at a time.

Thanks.

With manual steering, you should just need a slotted screwdriver and a box wrench. Loosen the large nut a bit w/ the box wrench first and while holding the nut steady, loosen the top adjusting screw 1/2 turn. Tighten the nut back down while holding the set screw. Road test and adjust again as necessary 1/2 turn or so at a time.

Interested in this topic as well. My manual box has the adjusting screw all the way down, to the point where is level with the nut.

This means the box is in the point where it is adjusted at its loosest point?

I did notice the steering came loose a while ago. Suspension components are good, already checked.

Normally, if the adjusting screw is all the way down flush w/ the nut, you are out of adjustment.

Thank you. Then, to adjust it half turn to the adj. screw, retighten test and redo if necessary. Right?

Sorry if my last post wasn't clear for you. I believe your steering box adjustment is as far down as it can go. You could try a half turn or so, but be careful and make sure there are still enough threads holding the nut on.

This means the box is in the point where it is adjusted at its loosest point?

Actually, no. The original poster was asking about his steering being too tight. I believe you're asking about looseness. Opposite adjustment, but as mentioned before, I think you may be at max for tightening.

To adjust preload on the worm shaft (part column attaches to) you MUST remove the box from the car. Follow the factory manual exactly! If you get this even a tiny bit too loose, you will have massive slop in your steering. Too tight and you'll destroy the box. The sector can be adjusted on the car, BUT it is better to do with the box removed. You MUST disconnect the pitman arm from the center link as a minimum. Your target is to "just" feel the box tighten up with the wheels straight ahead, it shouldn't be sticky. Too loose and you get some slop. Too tight and the box is ruined.

If you are feeling to lazy to do this right. DON'T MONKEY WITH IT!!! This is a matter of safety for youself and others.

BTW, a lot of reman steering boxes are junk. I would rather have a 200,000 mile original thats never been f**ked with than some parts house special that's had it's preloads all jacked up.

To adjust preload on the worm shaft (part column attaches to) you MUST remove the box from the car. Follow the factory manual exactly! If you get this even a tiny bit too loose, you will have massive slop in your steering. Too tight and you'll destroy the box. The sector can be adjusted on the car, BUT it is better to do with the box removed. You MUST disconnect the pitman arm from the center link as a minimum. Your target is to "just" feel the box tighten up with the wheels straight ahead, it shouldn't be sticky. Too loose and you get some slop. Too tight and the box is ruined.

If you are feeling to lazy to do this right. DON'T MONKEY WITH IT!!! This is a matter of safety for youself and others.

BTW, a lot of reman steering boxes are junk. I would rather have a 200,000 mile original thats never been f**ked with than some parts house special that's had it's preloads all jacked up.

This is kind of what I was getting at. I have a remanufactured box that
was way too tight from the get go. I think I will try to loosen up the
top adjustment a little more, and if that doesn't make a difference, I will
pull the box over the long wisconsin winter and adjust both settings
as specified in the book. I will probably have to make a wrench to
adjust the spanner type fitting though.

My old box had 1/2" of play at the pittman arm...... this one is far
better, but you can feel that you have to bring the wheel back when
you turn a corner, and she "drifts" a little on the road.

Thanks for the input.

-
Back