advice getting column together

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I took apart my floor shift column to replace the turn signal switch. Almost everything has gone back with the exception of the two pieces under the steering wheel. The two black bolts that apparently hold the half's together slide in but do not grab anything. Now I have about a 1" gap. The column slides up and down but the turn signal unit will not bolt up to it. And when I slide the column up the mounting holes don't line up with the bracket underneath. At least the signals work and I did get the wires into the factory plug.

There are a few exploded views of steering columns in other threads here that may help.
I do recall 2 bolts with square nuts that caught notches in a mating part but I can recall if that was a floor shift or column shift design.

Its on a 67. Im going to pull the bearing and see if i can get a better view of things. If anything it needs a good cleaning under there. Thanks red Ill check some threads the dart book was useless for this column it showa all the others. oh well.

I checked the pics of the columns but they don't really show a floor shift for the 67. The problem I am having is trying to get the signal housing back onto the column itself. I have rotated it 590*,tried tapping with a rubber mallet but so far no luck. I did find the 2 square nuts they had fallen into some old grease. They don't appear to tighten anything looks like they just go behind the signal housing. Any advice or a direction is greatly appreciated.Thanks all.

Those 2 square nuts are the tricky parts. Thay must be started on the bolts and then positioned into the notches and held there while tightening. Manipulating the bolt head to control the nuts position if that makes sense.

I just did this exact same thing a couple months ago and I feel really poopy because I can't quite picture it in my head at the moment.

If I can't get this back together and since I have it apart what other years are compatable to replace this with, I would like to put a tilt if possible. Hopefully it doesn't come to that I'll try to get some pics up today.

There isn't a tilt column that will bolt right into the A-body unless its aftermarket. Even those may require some mods. I honestly think you will get yours back together.
You may need to take some of it back apart and locate those notches in the tube where the 2 nuts catch hold.

Thanks Red I'm sure I'll get it back. I did get the square nuts into their respective nitches but for whatever reason the signal housing does not want to go back together. I'm going to wait til the weekend so I have more daylight to play. Thanks for the help so far.

Heres my delima. I cannot seem to get these two pieces back together. Im sure Im missing something small.

Attachments

• steering column hot steaks_0001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 182
  • steering column hot steaks_0002.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 175
  • steering column hot steaks_0003.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 177
  • steering column hot steaks_0004.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 172
  • steering column hot steaks_0005.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 165
  • steering column hot steaks_0006.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 176
I wish I could be more helpful. Its been a very long time since I went into this column.
Is it possible that the tube has moved down and away from you ? Keep in mind that I'm only guessing but... If you haven't loosened the 3 column mountings ( 2 nuts at top, 1 bolt at lower right ) the tube still might move since those are slotted attachments.

Thanks Red I did have that problem at first also but I have gotten it all hand tight. There is movement but it doesn't affect the two joining and that the trouble right now. I'll keep playing with it til it goes I know its something minor.

Gosh, the pictures help me a little. It's slowly coming back to me. I want to say there were 3 screws you throw on there, but I'm pretty sure that's not right. A part of me also believes there isn't anything that holds it all together. You're turn signal linkage goes in there, I know that and I'm pretty sure the upper half turns with the linkage. I believe it's all held together with the steering wheel in place. Memory is still really fuzzy and it's 2:30am. :/

We got it back together finally :cheers:. Apparently the square nuts attached to the black bolts in the housing go into the square notches on the column. They have to be very loose to grab the as there tightened they pull the two pieces together. Nice to have working turn signals again plus fresh grease on the bearing and everythings good. Thanks everyone for the help.

We got it back together finally :cheers:. Apparently the square nuts attached to the black bolts in the housing go into the square notches on the column. They have to be very loose to grab the as there tightened they pull the two pieces together. Nice to have working turn signals again plus fresh grease on the bearing and everythings good. Thanks everyone for the help.

Happy moparing

-
Back