Advice Needed: Converting to a Rotary A/C Compressor

-

1BAD72

Reaction score
Hello... I presently have the original vintage "v-twin" style air conditioner compressor on the 440 in my 72 Duster (see pic). I would like to convert it to a modern rotary compressor. The original v-twin is heavy, noisy, vibrates, has flapping belts, etc. It does get the car cold but I'm looking for a smoother, quieter operating compressor. Can someone who has performed this conversion tell me which compressor kit you found to be best and why? Also, any install tips would be a help. Thank you in advance.

20170104_185845.jpg

20170301_132110.jpg

Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air offer conversion kits. They both offer modern compressors that don't use much (about 5 HP) power.

I bought the Sanden compressor from CVF Racing when I bought their pulley kit. Haven't hooked it all up yet but the compressor fits great using their brackets, even with the RPM AirGap intake I'm using.
20171204_150952.jpg

Sounds like something is wrong with it. It's tough to beat those old compressors when they're right. They cool like a big dog.

I hate having the compressor on top of the engine.....Anyone ever mount the Alternator down low on passenger side and move ac compressor to original alternator location??

For sure use a Sanden, as most all resto-mods do. They aren't rotary. They have 7 double-acting pistons, driven by a swash-plate (effectively 14 cylinders). Earlier ones had 5 pistons. Most common is SD7H15. If depth is a problem, the H13 is ~1" shorter. I have even seen H12 size for Honda Civics, but you need volume to condense that muggy FL air. All have the same dimensions on the front end. Most come w/ 2 pulleys, but there are rare 1 pulley ones. You can download a manual that gives dimensions for all choices. Rodders commonly rig up mounts using adjustable turn-buckles like shown in post 3, but takes more thought than a designed kit.

The "80's" Mopars converted to the smaller style compressors, maybe you can find a setup off a junker

Post #7 refers to the Chrysler C-181 compressor, which is similar size as Sanden. Main advantage is you might get cheap brackets at the junkyard. The fittings are a bit unique, so grab those too. Some Mopars used a Sanden. I took brackets for one from a 1978 Volare slant. Several companies sell Sanden brackets for RB engines. Most Sandens have O-ring tube fittings (#8 & #10, I recall), but you can get rear heads for $20 on ebay for many different fittings and orientations and they are easy to swap.

Thanks for all the input. I went with a Sanden (not a copy) with a double pulley. I bought the pricey Bouchillon brackets. I'm going to plumb it up soon. I'll post some pics but it will be a while.

-
Back