Advice needed on out of state titles?

-

IndianaDodge

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm buying a Dart from a fellow member and I need some advice or tips when it comes to title the out of state vehicle. Im sure it varies with different states, however I would appreciate the help, advise, or tips. The car is currently titled in Rhode Island and will be titled in Indiana.

Thanks, Jason!

Agree with previous posters but just wanted to add that you may want to get the seller to electronically send you a bill of sale to sign and have him get it notarized. I bought a truck in R.I. when I was living in Massachusetts and the seller got the bill of sale notarized and I had no problems registering the vehicle.

Bought a car out of NY in the 90's and it didn't have title, only the registration. Seems like several states didn't use titles on cars made early 70 and later.

Not sure if RI used titles or registrations on the older cars but if that is what they have it should be no problem.

It use to be the police had to inspect the car once you get in back here.

I stopped at the Greenfield Police Dept on the way thru town with car still on the trailer. Was able to go to BMV and get title with no problem.

make sure you have bill of sale, and yes notorized would be good

Call your state MVD and ask what they require. Not every state has the same requirements.

Bought a car out of NY in the 90's and it didn't have title, only the registration. Seems like several states didn't use titles on cars made early 70 and later.

Not sure if RI used titles or registrations on the older cars but if that is what they have it should be no problem.

It use to be the police had to inspect the car once you get in back here.

I stopped at the Greenfield Police Dept on the way thru town with car still on the trailer. Was able to go to BMV and get title with no problem.

make sure you have bill of sale, and yes notorized would be good

Yeah I seen where Indiana requires a police check on the VIN on out of state used vehicles. That shouldnt be a problem... Had to have them check out my 74 Dart to get a court order title a coule years back!

I know texas is getting stricter. There is a like 10 day grace period of date on title to get it transfered without penalties. Easy way to remedy this is to ask the seller to sign title and bill of sale or DMV documentation but not to date it incase you need a few extra days to make it to the DMV. They penalties can get expensive, the longer the car is not transfered when there is a date on the title, the % goes up. There was a lady infront of me that was required to pay $400 + for fees because she didn't transfer title since she bought it a year ago. You can prob check your states website and get plenty of information there that will keep you ahead of the game.

moving a car into Az required a trip to dmv with the car to verify vin, in Washington, just previous title with you, they don't need to see the car...

Hi all... I'm buying a Dart from a fellow member and I need some advice or tips when it comes to title the out of state vehicle. Im sure it varies with different states, however I would appreciate the help, advise, or tips. The car is currently titled in Rhode Island and will be titled in Indiana.

Thanks, Jason!

Hey Jason,
In Indidana all you need on a car thats 40 years or older in Indiana is a signed bill of sale. It would be easier if noterized. Make sure it has breif description, vin # and who it's being sold to all written on it. Indiana is very easy to buy a car from out of state. You will have to add a out of state inspection for $5.00 (from local law enforcement or the license branch will inspect). Then you will add sales tax and title work cost too!
Good luck, need any help, PM me.8)

Call you license branch if not sure.

in PA you just bring in the title from any state and walk out with tags it just takes longer to get the new PA title in your name mailed to you if its transfered from out of state because they have to create a new motor vehicle record

in PA you just bring in the title from any state and walk out with tags it just takes longer to get the new PA title in your name mailed to you if its transfered from out of state because they have to create a new motor vehicle record

Ditto for N.C.

I would ask for a xerox copy of the title before you seal the deal. If there are any problems you can solve them beforehand.

-
Back